Fate Part 1 (Revamped)

The universe has moved for us

Without missing a single thing

Our happiness was meant to be

Cuz you love me, and I love you

---

Fate: [noun] an inevitable and often adverse outcome, condition, or end. Synonym - destiny, determined, kismet.

Serendipity: [noun] the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way. Synonyms - chance, accident, fluke.

When the universe was first made, everything had been decided.

From birth to death, every living creature had a path to follow - some a path of joy, others a path of misfortune, but a path all the same. It was this predetermined nature of the cosmos that keeps the balance between all things in the universe. It is what dictates the cycle of life, establishes order amongst all beings, the checks and balances that lead to the rise and fall of civilizations.

Fate is perfect. Fate is absolute.

Fate is a total asshole.

When the universe was first made, everything had been decided.

Fate had decided on Kaycee Rice and Sean Lew.

Things had been set in motion long before they were born, before their fathers and mothers. Generations upon generations of ancestors whose decisions decided the course of human history.

In this world, power and prestige are everything. It keeps food on the table and a roof above heads. It sends kids to school and secures jobs after college. If you are a nobody, then you are nothing. If you are nothing, you are worthless. If you are worthless, you starve to death in the streets.

In this world, those who thrive are the ones who obey and ascend into the roles carved out for them. The ones who work hard and follow the way of the world. The ones who respect the order of things because, hey if it ain't broke, why fix it, right?

In this world, love is for the weak. Petty emotions are for the poor. Choices are an illusion.

---

Present Day

Sean blends in well, playing the roles he was made for - a gorgeous entrepreneur waiting to ascend to the throne of his father's business, a doting husband who brushes light kisses on his wife's shoulder and refills her glass with whatever she requests.

Kaycee glares at her husband from across the room, already bored with the mind-numbing gossip exchanged between other wives. She's tired, having finally broken through her writer's block, and just wanted to go home. But in contrast to her, Sean was the life of the party, clinking glasses with friends, most likely weaving up charming excuses for his young wife's poor social skills.

As if he sensed her staring daggers at the back of his expensive suit, Sean turns and finds her gaze through the sea of people. She smiles, tight and all-together fake at him. He sees through her bullshit. She just barely makes out the resigned sigh he gives, masked quickly with the way he downs of his wine. He makes his way to her, holding her tired eyes as he cuts through the crowd.

"Excuse me, ladies." Sean purrs, words directed at her table mates but his stare completely locked on hers. The fire in his eyes starkly contrasts the low hum of his voice. "Mind if I steal my wife for a quick dance?"

Kaycee hears the other wives giggle, feels them softly nudging her towards her husband's waiting hand. No doubt they are envious, most of them stuck in unhappy marriages with distant men who privately seek comfort in the arms of another, while her own spouse is a beautiful specimen who actually bothers to play the part of a good husband.