ch 3

If she was not mistaken, Madam Du would execute her plans once they were done burning incense, on the way back from Huguo Temple.

Hiding at a certain spot, would be the slave traders Madam Du had already contacted — altogether two people, a man and a woman, both of them incomparably ugly. At that time, Madam Du hadn't received any money from them, only requested them to sell her as far as possible. It would be best if she wouldn't be able to return to the capital her whole life.

Ah Luo was coming up with a plan step by step, while she followed behind Madam Du.

Didn't she want to sell her? Good, then let her see whether she had the skill to.

Still, she hoped that when the time came, Nurse Ye wouldn't get too scared. She wanted to forever remain an innocent little miss in her heart.

Wei Luo really liked her.

For as long as she could remember, Nurse Ye had taken care of her. Perhaps she treated her even better than her own children. Moreover, when the past Ah Luo had wanted to return home to the Duke's residence to get acknowledged by her relatives, and after the mother and daughter pair had disfigured her face, only Nurse Ye had recognized her and taken her in to look after her. Unfortunately, Wei Luo's body wasn't strong enough and didn't last long. Eventually, she drew her last breath, filled with hatred.

If Nurse Ye had known of Madam Du's intentions, she'd have naturally gone all out to protect her, right?

Too bad she hadn't known, and Wei Luo had died, very pitifully at that.

She wondered whether Madam Du had had any dreams about her when she'd slept at night. Had she been happy to conspire with Wei Zheng to ruin her (Wei Luo's) face? The feeling of cutting someone's skin open must have been pretty good? Wei Luo thought she was a little eager to try it out for herself.

The corners of her mouth lifted, she was obviously thinking of cruel things, yet her face showed a sweet smile.

Wei Luo repeatedly looked out of the window, her eyes sweeping over the surroundings.

There were many people on the streets, coming and going about their business, from the well-dressed rich people to the rags-wearing beggars. Because it was so crowded, the carriage moved slowly, letting Wei Luo look around very carefully.

Along the way, the carriage suddenly stopped. Madam Du's maidservant, Ning Xue, raised the curtain to inquire about the reason. Apparently two carriages had collided, blocking the road ahead, so the driver had to stop near a mask booth.

Ning Xue said: "We were unlucky. Madam, should we take another road?"

Madam Du didn't want to waste time, preparing to nod, "Just as well..."

Wei Luo, who hadn't spoken until now, opened her mouth to say: "Madam, look, there are so many masks here! Ah Luo wants to buy a mask."

Madam Du barely kept a smiling face. Every time Ah Luo called her 'madam', it made her heart feel uncomfortable. Though she wanted to get angry on the spot, she changed her mind as she had to keep deceiving that little girl. The girl was clever, if she discovered something was amiss, then she could make things difficult by running away. Thinking about that, she forced a smile, "Ah Luo, be good, we must go to Huguo Temple to burn incense. Let's buy the mask after we come back."

Ah Luo shook her head quickly, "No, I want to buy it now!"

She saw that Madam Du intended to refuse, her lips pursed and she changed tactics: "Just a moment ago at home, madam said she'd buy a mask for Ah Luo. A promise must be kept. Did madam deceive me? I must tell daddy!" She knew how to use both threats and persuasion. Seeing that Madam Du's complexion wasn't good, she blinked her bright and clever eyes, pointing at the mask booth nearby, "I'll only buy one... Madam, buy me one. If you do, I'll be obedient!"