ch 83

The bedplate wasn't hard. It was covered with layer of light blue satin bedding with gold embroidery and a pattern of okra flowers, chrysanthemum, and butterflies. Lying on the top of the bedding that was soft as clouds, Wei Luo could even smell a trace of blood. It was probably the blood from Zhao Jie's wounds that had been inadvertently left behind when the doctor was staunching his wounds.

He was already injured to this point. He still had energy to think about other thoughts?

Wei Luo felt very incredulous.

She blinked in astonishment. Her bright, black eyes were like two pools of shining water. She finally couldn't resist lifting her hand, touching his wound on his chest, and curiously asking, "Does this not hurt?"

Although she didn't clearly see this wound when she came inside, she could guess that this injury wasn't light from the paleness of his face. Since this was true, why did he still have the energy to push her down and ask her this question? Shouldn't he be more concern about his injuries?

Zhao Jie held her soft, little hand and didn't allow her to touch his wound. He rubbed her cheek, then he quietly said, "Answer my question."

That movement had pulled at his wounds. An action that was usually very easy to do was now very difficult. His chest continued to dully ache. The wound that had recently stopped bleeding started again. However, this pain cleared his head and let him remember the promise she had made. His little girl had said she would tell him the answer after he came back from Shanxi. He was back now and he was impatient to hear her answer.

Because he wanted to hear her answer too much, he kept thinking about her while he was in Shanxi.

Emperor Chong Zhen had been merciful and distributed five million silver to help with the disaster relief. When Zhao Jie reached Shanxi, he saw that the people had no way of making a living and the area was swarming with disaster victims. The common people only had bitter words left.

When they heard the emperor had sent Prince Jing here, everyone worshiped Zhao Jie as a god and devoutly kowtowed. They weren't this respectful and grateful towards their own biological parents. The disaster relief went very well. The local officials were also very accommodating and didn't use their official authority for private interest. Of course, most of this was because of Prince Jing's reputation.

Everyone knew that Prince Jing was very cruel and unreasonable. In addition, he had a noble identity. Who would be blind enough to dare to provoke him?

He had gotten this new injury on the way back to the capital from Shanxi.

Someone knew in advance the path he would take back to the capital, laid out an ambush fifty miles outside of the capital, and attempted to take his life. The other party had come prepared with forty to fifty merciless and highly skilled people. Unfortunately, they had underestimated Zhao Jie's skill and precautionary mind.

On the surface, Zhao Jie didn't bring many people with him. But, in reality, most of his guards were hidden. The guards had high levels of martial arts skills and performed impressively. They were more than enough to deal with these people. Although the other side had more people, they weren't able to take the slightest advantage and were utterly defeated by Zhao Jie's guards. They either died or suffered serious injuries.

To beat them at their own game, Zhao Jie had taken two strikes during this time. Those were the two spots where he was currently injured. One was on his left chest and the other was on his left arm.

Zhao Jie had already guessed who instigated this. At the end, he ordered his people to not allow even one person to live. Several corpses were put on display in the wilderness.