ch 26

Prince Jing's residence was situated at the end of the East main street, while Duke Ying's residence was at the mid section. It was just enough to say it's on the way.

Since it was the Empress' suggestion, there was no reason to reject. Zhao Jie put down the green jade cup with a hornless dragon pattern and got up to leave. Cupping his hands in greeting to the empress, he said, "Your son is bidding goodbye. The time is late, Imperial mother should also take a rest."

Empress Chen nodded, ordering Nurse Qiu to escort them to the gate of Qingxi palace.

Outside the palace was parked the prince's green-roofed carriage. The exterior was low-key, but the interior was extravagantly gorgeous. Wei Luo stepped on the black lacquered redwood foothold, lifted open the hanging screen embroidered with gold, and lowered her body to go in. Right in the middle of the carriage was placed a small purple table lined with gold and carved with a scenic design. On top of it were arranged several kinds of fruit and snacks, including the plums and peaches that were in season. There were also walnuts, almonds and other nuts. Wei Luo glanced at Zhao Jie, who entered after her, and thought he really knew how to enjoy life. It was merely the inside of a carriage, yet it was decorated so exquisitely. Enough to see that he put care into his way of life.

A person with such deep thoughts, who never let his emotions show, why had he helped her today?

The carriage started moving, gradually leaving the palace behind.

No matter how she thought, Wei Luo couldn't understand. Propping up her cheek, she stared at the walnuts in front of her. Her pink lips pursed, she had an absent-minded expression. Zhao Jie's actions today would no doubt offend Prince Ruyang. Prince Ruyang held the military power in his hands and his military service was illustrious. He was a very advantageous chess piece. Why didn't Zhao Jie want him? Pondering over it, her brain suddenly received an inspiration. She recalled something.

Li Song was Zhao Zhang's study partner. Was Prince Ruyang planning to support Zhao Zhang?

Thinking this far, it seemed to make sense. She dug into her previous life's memories. What had Prince Ruyang done to assist Zhao Zhang? Had he already made his intentions clear at this point in time? No wonder Zhao Jie wanted to start with Li Song. He had basically used the chance to provoke Prince Ruyang. Unable to grasp the chess piece, might as well destroy it. Death ended all problems.

Wei Luo finally figured it out. In the first place, he hadn't done it to help her, but because it was a good opportunity to give Prince Ruyang a warning.

The little girl was sitting straight on the soft seat, her eyelashes hanging low and obscuring her expression. Her lips were pursed at one point, then she suddenly got enlightened at another. When she was done thinking, her pair of glittery dark eyes brightened up, making her small face appear much more lively.

Zhao Jie couldn't help thinking back to what he had witnessed her do earlier today. She had sat on Li Song. He was standing behind her, so he couldn't see her expression. He could only see her raising the arrow and thrusting it toward Li Song's eyes without the slightest hesitation. Her tiny body seemed to contain tremendous power. Right then, he had believed that Li Song would undoubtedly die. He hadn't expected her to actually stop at the last moment.

She had asked whether Li Song was scared. Her voice had been soft, with a hint of satire.

Zhao Jie found it very entertaining. The reason he had made his subordinates tie Li Song on the target was indeed to issue a warning to Prince Ruyang. But it was also in order to let her vent her anger. She was only six years old, yet she could be this outrageous and wild. If there was someone to indulge her and add fuel to the fire, who knew what kind of a huge commotion she would cause.