ch 5

The man had jumped down from such a tall tree unscathed, it caused the surrounding people to gawk.

Nurse Ye saw him coming straight for Wei Luo, and subconsciously held her even closer: "Who are you?"

Wei Luo hadn't told her about buying a mask earlier. Naturally, Nurse Ye didn't know about the matter of Wei Luo biting Zhao Jie's hand.

But Zhu Geng knew of it. He'd followed their carriage all the way to Huguo Temple, meaning to find an opportunity to teach that little girl a lesson. He didn't care whether he seemed narrow-minded, or like someone who bullied the weak. In any case, he couldn't let this little devil off. Not to mention His Highness' body was such an expensive thing, how could he get bullied in vain? He really didn't expect to witness such an astonishing scene when he followed along.

He had heard Madam Du and the couple's conversation behind the cabin. Originally, this little girl didn't look all that special, but there was a cruel stepmother doing her best to sell her to the slave traders.

A married woman's heart was the most malicious. This saying was certainly not false.

He had felt sorry for the little girl, but hadn't planned to lend a hand. He was just going to watch from the sidelines. However, this small girl really managed to shock people.

She had swung the sharp hairpin without even batting an eye.

Zhu Geng had been squatting on the tree, looking on with interest for some time. In the end, he couldn't take it anymore and had jumped down.

Nurse Ye thought he was one of Madam Du's people, vigilantly taking a few steps back: "I'm telling you, as long as I'm still breathing, I won't let you hurt a hair on the fourth Miss' head!"

Wei Luo was moved by her words. Buried in Nurse Ye's nape, she cried softly 'Nurse', and turned a blind eye to Zhu Geng, ignoring him, as if she didn't know him.

Truthfully, she did provoke Zhao Jie intentionally, with the purpose of tricking them into following, since their presence would come in handy in the crucial moment. However, it wasn't required anymore. Even if Zhu Geng hadn't shown up, she would have been able to deal with Madam Du.

That person had come out of nowhere. Moreover, it looked like his martial arts were excellent. Madam Du noticed his familiar tone with Wei Luo, and thought he was a bodyguard sent by Wei Kun. The Duke's residence was raising their own personal guards, with each branch of the family having a dozen people assigned to protect them. The idea seemed plausible to Madam Du, so she asked sharply: "Who are you?"

Zhu Geng wasn't refined and didn't know how to talk to her politely. He spoke with a grin, "I'm an unrelated person, just want to borrow your family's Miss for a little trip."

Madam Du was alarmed: "To go where?"

She had to keep up her act for him; if he was really sent by Wei Kun, he'd bring Wei Luo safely back to the residence. As long as Wei Luo accused her in front of Wei Kun, Madam Du would have lost the lead, and wouldn't be able to explain herself clearly. She absolutely couldn't allow him to carry Wei Luo off! With that in mind, her eyes cooled down, "Since Ah Luo came with me, I should naturally bring her back in person. Who are you to interfere?" Done speaking, she turned her head to look at Ah Luo, instantly putting on a kind face, "Ah Luo, were you scared just now? Don't misunderstand, that man wasn't going to hurt you. Seeing how pretty you are, he wanted to take a closer look..."

As long as Wei Luo stayed behind, she would certainly be able to find another opportunity to get rid of her.

Wuzhou's wife also jumped in: "Yes, it was a misunderstanding, a huge misunderstanding! Us, husband and wife, are hunters living on this mountain. By chance, our lives were rescued by your family's Madam, wanted to repay our debt of gratitude today. When we saw this lovely young Miss, we couldn't resist picking her up to take a look. Who would've thought the girl would disfigure my husband's face like this... Such a deep wound, what is he going to do in the future..." Then she threw herself on Wuzhou's body to weep bitterly.