[Act 1] Chapter 5: The Usurper

31st June 1500 NA, eastern Arthurian Empire

Palace of Arthur, Camelot

Less than half a year earlier, the only people Emperor Mordred preferred to fight was his elder sister's rebellious forces and the inferior dark elven tribes of the east. To him, it was easier. Years before that, lowly barbaric clansmen of the southeast nation of Saxonia were the Arthurian's most favourite pastime. It was his first time seeing action by fending off and pushing in Saxonian lands with great haste.

But this wasn't Saxonia, and he wasn't just a young commander anymore. He was inside the royal palace in Camelot, the city where his great ancestor forged the first dynasty. It was on the very throne he sat on where the House of Arthur sat for thousands of years. How they survived, no one will ever know. How they aren't the sole rulers of the Continent, pacifism was to blame. Mordred always thought it was through oppression, as his ancestors did, that forged the greatest empire in the world, but it seems they have reached their peak.

The city was gripped with fear after news came from the far west, and this time it wasn't because of his sister. Nearly everyone in the Empire heard the news: an army emerged from beyond the gate. Mordred just knew it had to be the same army that slaughtered his father's forces when they went beyond the gateway, and it must have been the same force that destroyed the entire Second Knight Army he sent eastward to cast this army back. Now he waits in anticipation to learn of the outcome of the Second Cavalry Army he sent all the way from the Saxonian border.

The palace was not a better position to be. The only thing he could hear was the councilmen below him, who were more a collection of arrogant nobles than real advisors. Perhaps a few suggestions about how to take back the area around Sapphire River and Castle Dagonet. But no, instead they were in the middle of a debate of the rumours of the strange men who appeared from the gate and how to negotiate with them. Most of them were even stuffing their faces with pie, clearly not taking in the fact they might lose the western portion of the empire at this very moment.

What they didn't like truly were the elves, or any other race not human in that matter. There had been only a handful of palace servants and functionaries that passed through the hall while they sat, and all of them had been shot glances by the councilmen ranging from annoyance to pure hostility. It's not like Mordred actually had respect for the inhuman undesirables, but he did have the mind to focus more on the threat at hand.

He watched as the doors on the other side of the room flung open and military generals march in a tight formation. It was noticeable that they were supposed to be leading the Second Cavalry Army against the so-called "Grey Ones" and drive them back beyond the Gate, but even more noticeable was their horribly damaged armour, littered with shrapnel and dust.

The entire council waited, busy examining the damage these men have taken. There was only silence. They looked as if they have rolled over a giant pile of pikes, enough to crack their armours into different positions.