[Act 1] Chapter 23: Two Leaders

"Right this way, Fräulein," the guard hurried.

Guinevere had been walking for so long she started to expect the guard was a prankster, making her wish that she brought her litter inside the building. The only thing that kept her entertained was the majestic paintings of the Kaiser placed at every centre of a corridor. It at least made her feel some sense of pride to gaze upon such a man who commands so much respect in his country. It was what she hopes to be once her brother is finally ousted from his position on her throne.

She thought long and hard about why such a meeting was cut short after ten minutes by the emperor. But judging by how the Kaiser could just do something like that, perhaps Werner was wrong in saying he had not much power invested in him. Truly, he was the man to convince to send help to protect her empire, not counting the thousands of Wehrmacht troops holding the border against Mordred's men.

Later, they arrived at a large, ornate door on the far end of a massive corridor. Of course, it was guarded by two of those monstrous super soldiers. Unlike the others she encountered, the two guarding the door were packed with a lot more armour and duel-wielded two massive double-barrel machine guns. As is the Kaiser's reputation, of course, he would get only the best. Looking at them made Guinevere realise again how fortunate she was to be on their side.

When the door opened, Archduke Erenn Zaurus walked out. His face had a satisfied grin up until he saw the Empress, to which it turned into a smug grin, clearly undermining the Empress in her nervous state.

"I have what I came for," Erenn told, leaning into her, "power will return to the House of Zaurus, so let us hope you can make a better deal."

Guinevere only glared angrily as Erenn stomped right out the room. Only the request of the guard holding open the door made her concentrate on the task at hand. She made one last check of her dress in a nearby mirror, trying her hardest to present herself as regal as possible, and brushed her crown with a silk handkerchief. This was going to be a personal chat.

"Right this way," the guard hurried.

When she entered the room, she was greeted with a room fit for royalty. The Kaiser's quarters were large and flawless, enough to fit an entire five-star hotel room in. The black floors and wallpaper of iron crosses added a sign of a menacing presence, and this presence was in the form of the Kaiser. This further proves the wonders that the Germans could enlighten her people with.

Guinevere spotted the Kaiser looking outside the window right next to a door that led to a balcony, seemingly ignoring the presence of her.  Aside from his small stature, clear lack of true martial prowess, and the knowledge he had gleaned of rare and unusual combat forms, there was a symbolic resonance that surrounded the Kaiser, that the Empress hoped to muster in herself.

Though, defeat is something that almost seems certain without the assistance of the man in front of her.

Guinevere remembered the description from Werner very well: Kaiser Wilhelm . . . strong as he presents himself, his decisions are based upon emotion rather than logical thinking, a thing me and him have in common. Any decision the old leaders let him make harmed Germany in the process, which I already mentioned. The Weltkrieg showed us that the role of the monarch didn't need to be filled out that much, as the generals had no such problem directing troops on their own. In fact, it was a military junta for most of the war, although not officially. When you speak to him, try to sound as if you are a true leader, one of courage and spirit, but don't dare try to present yourself as over him.

Those words rang out to Guinevere like a cathedral's bells, more than the Pope giving a sermon. All the time she spent thinking of what to say, she neglected to think up a failsafe if talks were to fail. The Kaiser may have given the order, but it is obvious the true power lies within the military, the men who she annoyed with her little outburst. This just might be her last chance to smooth things over with Germany.