22

After having a whole weekend off from hockey, practice was especially rough on Monday afternoon as we prepared for our two games this week. Although I loved hockey, I was glad when practice wrapped up for the night so I could get some rest.

"Guys," Fox shouted, grabbing the attention of the team. "Don't forget you have to get your permission slips signed so you can leave during last period on Friday for the game. If it's not signed, you're not coming."

Everyone let out assurances that they heard Fox and would have their slips signed by Friday. Since the game was quite far, we needed to leave during last period to get there on time to have a practice before the start of the game.

"Bruins game at my house tonight, you in?" Fox asked me, clapping a hand down on my shoulder.

I sighed, grabbing my hockey bag. "I guess."

Fox smirked. "Don't sound too excited."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him and he followed me out of the locker room.

"Can I just head there with you now?" I asked, realizing I didn't want to get caught up in a talk with my father.

Dad made it clear he wanted to talk to me about what happened on Thanksgiving and I just wanted to avoid the topic all together.

"Sure," Fox replied with a shrug.

"Going to Fox's!" I shouted over at Josh who was getting into the driver's seat of his car.

Josh gave me a strange look but ultimately nodded before shutting the car door.

"Any reason you're dying to come home with me?" Fox teased as the two of us got into his car.

I rested my arm on the center console and tapped my fingers against it, effectively ignoring Fox's question. He placed his hand over mine to stop my tapping, sending a shock directly to my chest. I suddenly pulled my hand away and looked toward him with a frightened expression. His teasing grin sent shivers through my spine. I couldn't help but think Fox's smile was something out of a dream.

The way he looked at me when he smiled paralyzed me, so I wasn't able to look away from him. Flutters crept through my stomach like a herd of monarch butterflies were in there flying south for their migration. All he had to do was smile and I was putty in his hands.

I had no idea what had gotten into me. I shook my head to clear my mind and finally looked away.

Fox laughed. "What's the matter? You're acting like I just stabbed you."

"I'm not," I grumbled, looking out the window.

Fox scoffed, sounding as if he didn't believe me, but didn't say anything else.

Eventually, we made it to his house where it appeared that no one else was home.

"Your parents aren't here?" I asked him as we stepped into the house.

"Mom works late and Dad travels," he replied, stopping to place his hockey bag in the hall closet.

"Please don't tell me the goons are coming over," an unfamiliar voice spoke out from behind us. Fox and I turned to see the girl standing with her hands on her hips. I recognized her from the family portrait.

"Okay, I won't tell you," Fox retorted, causing the girl to roll her eyes. She looked me up and down in confusion.

"You're new," she said.

"Kinda," I replied.

"Raven, Elijah. Elijah, Raven," Fox introduced us. We greeted each other briefly before Raven turned back to her brother.