46

TRIGGER WARNING: use of homophobic slur

Landon looked furious as he stormed over to where I stopped in my tracks. His breathing was heavy and his nostrils flared angrily. He was on a mission and it seemed like my face was about to be the target of his fist.

"Landon..." I trailed in a wary tone, holding my hands out in front of me.

"Shut the fuck up," he spat, Fox moving to stand in front of me as Landon stopped before us.

His harsh glare cut through me and I froze in place.

"You're ruining my life!" Landon seethed, coming closer so that he was almost chest to chest with Fox.

"Back off," Fox said, more calm than I expected.

"You thought telling the Hanson's about me was a good fucking idea?" Landon continued, ignoring Fox who was trying to get him to back up.

"I thought they could help," I said in a small voice.

"There's nothing to help!" Landon exclaimed, throwing his hands up. "You should've kept your mouth shut!"

"Hey," Fox sharply interjected. "We're just trying to help you, show a little appreciation."

"I don't need help from faggots," Landon spat with narrowed eyes.

Even though he was spitting insults at us, I couldn't find it in me to be angry with him. He was deeply closeted and I didn't even want to think about how much self-hatred his parents had instilled in him.

"You seriously think anyone can change my parents' minds?" Landon continued. "You just made it worse!"

Landon stepped closer, causing Fox to back us up a few steps.

"You really need to back off," Fox warned in a stern tone.

"I'm sick of you stepping in and trying to be a fucking hero," Landon hissed, shoving Fox backwards so he knocked into me.

Fox's shoulders tensed and I could tell he was starting to lose his patience. Landon shoved him again but Fox didn't retaliate. It wasn't until Landon shoved him harder to the point where he stumbled that Fox started to defend himself.

Landon was about to throw a punch Fox's way and before I could step in to stop it, someone else did.

Wren has sprinted up out of nowhere and restrained Landon, holding him back from his brother.

"You need to leave," Wren said in an even tone as he continued holding Landon back.

"Get the fuck off me," Landon seethed, pulling himself out of Wren's grip.

Landon's scowl landed on me as if he wanted to kill me on the spot.

"You," Landon spat, pointing at me like he wished his finger was knife that could slice through my skin. "Stay the fuck out of my life."

With that, he stomped off, leaving us speechless in his wake. I let out a breath, finally feeling like I could unfreeze from the shock of the situation.

"Is that the guy that attacked you at the tournament?" Wren asked his brother.

Fox just wordlessly nodded, glancing toward me.

"Come on," he said, motioning me to follow him. "I'm not leaving you out here to wait for Josh while Landon could still be around."

Without even thinking about it, I followed behind Fox to Wren's car. Wren wasn't far behind us, but he was still obviously stunned from the previous situation, his care for his brother showing through his concerned expression.