32

My eyes slightly burned when I opened them the next morning, tired from all the crying I did the night before. I sat up on the bed and rubbed my eyes as the smell of breakfast made its way into my room.

I was nervous to go downstairs but I knew I couldn't stay in my room all day. Dad made it clear he wanted to talk and I had hockey in a couple hours.

The family was already downstairs by the time I got there. Josh gave me an impassive look while Ava looked angry as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Good morning, Elijah," Dad called out as he stood in front of the stove. "You're just in time for breakfast."

I apprehensively sit down at the table with my siblings, across from Ava and the death glare she was sending me.

"Yes Ava?" I asked in a wary tone.

"I'm mad at you," she replied.

"Sorry," I muttered as Dad put a plate full of food down in front of me.

"Eat up," he said with a smile. "You need all the energy you can get for hockey today."

It surprised me that his mood had changed so drastically from the night before, but I realized I shouldn't be all that surprised. He had always been good at managing his emotions.

"How are you feeling?" Mindy asked as she sat down beside me.

I shrugged. "Fine."

She gave me a knowing look but didn't press any further. That was one of the things I loved about Mindy. She was caring but she knew when to press further and when not to.

Dad sat down across from me and whispered something to Ava which caused her to uncross her arms and start eating. He smiled over at me to which I reluctantly returned. We finished eating breakfast with small talk that I didn't partake in.

"We have to get going," Josh told our parents.

"Is it that time already?" Dad asked, turning around to look at the clock before turning back to us. "Well you boys have fun."

After changing into more athletic clothing and grabbing my stuff, I met Josh out at the car after saying goodbye to the rest of the family.

I could tell he was itching to start a conversation with me as he backed out of the driveway and started toward the school. I had no idea what I would say to him, so I planned on keeping my mouth shut for as long as I could.

Of course, that didn't last very long.

"Elijah," Josh called out, clearing his throat.

"Hm?"

"I wanted to uh– I want to apologize," he stammered. "For what I said last night."

I sighed, leaning my head on the cool window.

"It's fine Josh."

"It was stupid and I was just upset–"

"Josh, seriously," I cut him off. "It's fine. You were right anyway."

He let out a heavy sigh. "No, I wasn't."

"Yes you were and I shouldn't have brought up Trevor," I told him. "You had every right to call me out on my bullshit."

"Elijah," Josh started, shaking his head. "I don't actually believe what I said about you."

"Well you should," I muttered, looking out the window.

"Stop that," he snapped.

"You don't need to apologize," I muttered. "And we don't need to talk about it."