~9~

Song: NASA - Ariana Grande (slowed)

—————————————————————-

"Harry? What're you doing.. in the restriction section?" Hermione asked puzzled.

Harry jumped back in shock at the sudden voice, placing a hand on his chest to recover.

"Merlin, Hermione. I'm.. studying for potions." Harry said. To his defeat, Ron and Hermione did not look convinced. At all.

"How's your potions studying going, in the book of ancient.. bonds?" Ron asked smugly.

"It's going quite well, for your information." He retorted. "Why are you guys here anyways? How did you get in without my cloak?"

"Madam Pince hardly pays attention. By the way, Harry, you aren't fooling anyone. What's going on? I shouldn't have to say that you can trust us." Hermione shook her head.

"Well, erm, you know how my wand wasn't working earlier?" Harry glanced at his two best
friends, looking uneasy.

"Uh, yeah. Did you get it fixed?"

"Not even close. Malfoy and I tried practically every wand in the shop. None of them worked. So, Ollivander got an idea of what was going on, and asked me to research something called a 'Serpent Bond'." Harry explained, realizing that he admitted to going to Diagon Ally with Malfoy.

"So you and Malfoy did go to Ollivander's together." Ron smirked. Harry slightly flushed red. 'Why was I going red?'

"Well, his wand wasn't working either. The company was nice anyways." Harry pouted.

"Yeah, but Malfoy? He's made fun of us for years!" Hermione reasoned.

"I doubt you came here to talk to me about Malfoy." Harry rolled his eyes.

"Consider it payback for 6th year." Hermione laughed.

"Oh sod off." Harry giggled. "Anyways, I discovered that this so called 'Serpent Bond' is a bond between two true ancestors of Salazar Slytherin that at one point shared a strong rivalry purely out of some sort of grudge, but not exactly by will. The bond is assigned at birth, based on the destiny of the two. The bond is typically activated by that rivalry ending, and getting replaced by friendship or even romance. The people who share the bond can do incredibly powerful things; both ordinary and in a duel. For instance, they could eliminate any dark wizard with the combine of their magic. But there's a catch, the pair's previous wands stop working as soon as the bond is activated, and they have to forevermore use wands that are connected to each other with a special Serpent Bond charm. It's very difficult to make such a pair of wands, and there has only been one case of a Serpent Bond in all wizarding history, and it was far before Hogwarts." The emerald eyed boy explained.

Ron and Hermione looked a bit lost, but understood it as soon as they processed the information.

"Okay.. but what's this got to do with you and Malfoy's wand not working?" Ron trailed off, the situation clicking in his mind. "Wait.. but how's that even possible? You're not a Slytherin for starters, and you and Malfoy don't even have a grudge against each other. It was just pure rivalry. I doubt he shot those insults at you not by will." He rambled.

"Oh, right. You see, when I was being sorted, I was actually meant to be a Slytherin. I begged the sorting hat to put me elsewhere; anywhere but Slytherin. Surprisingly, the hat listened and put me in Gryffindor instead. But technically speaking, I have many traits of a Slytherin and could very well be one of Salazar Slytherins ancestors." Harry mentioned.