~12~

Song: Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood (slowed)

——————————————————————-

Draco had retreated back to his dorm shortly after breakfast, and sat at the desk on his half of the room. He sighed in defeat as frustrated tears rolled down his cheeks.

I can't just not write anything, Voldemort might already be watching me for all I know.

He immediately reflected back to his Occlumency lessons with Snape, beginning to build up his walls. Just in case.

He grabbed a quill and an empty envelope, and begun to address his letter.

Draco Malfoy
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

He hesitated, before shakily writing his fathers name in the center of the envelope.

Lucius Malfoy
Azkaban

Draco then fetched an empty parchment. He rested the tip of the quill on the top of the page and begun to write.

Father,

He sat in deep thought for several minutes, before slamming the quill down in irritation, unknowing of what to write next.

Just before he finally had some words flowing upon the parchment, another owl swooped into the room, landing softly on the pale boys shoulder with another letter in hand. His mothers owl?

The owl dropped a letter in front of him, the paper landing with a slight breeze.

Draco reached up to stroke the owl on the top of its head. "Sorry Lin, I don't have any treats right now." He said gently.

She snorted softly, nuzzling into his neck one final time before flying back out the window.

He opened the seal of his mother's letter with far less hesitance than his fathers, unfolding the parchment.

Draco,

I assume you have gotten a letter from your father by now. Whatever you do, don't reply. The dark lord has already tried to reach out to me, and has found me, but he is still unaware of your location or if you are still alive. Your father is safe in Azkaban, Voldemort cannot reach him there. I, on the other hand, am not. As long as Voldemort knows of my existence, you are in danger. That being said, there is something that I must do.

It would be much easier for me to tell you in person, somewhere where he CANNOT find me. I would like for you to meet me in the alleyway behind Ollivander's, but it must be secretive just in case. If I remember correctly, Lucius told me that Potter has an invisibility cloak. If you can get it from him to meet me there tonight at 9:00 (assuming you get this letter on 9/7) then it would be better than owl posting. If you cannot, I am afraid it's too risky to meet up at any other time.

For safety reasons, do not owl back. If you can't make it tonight, then I will get the cue if you don't show up, and owl you what I need to say tomorrow. Just do not owl anyone or go anywhere without extra precautions now that the dark lord is at rise once again. If he finds you, you will not have a choice. Let's end the tradition, son. I love you. I'll see you tonight hopefully.

- mom

Draco felt tears welting in his eyes. He begged that his mothers solution to Voldemort's awareness of her wasn't what he thought it was, but there was no way to be sure.

As if on cue, Harry stumbled into the room. Draco quickly folded the letters and threw them all in his bag, wiped the drying tears from his cheeks, and turned around to face the golden boy.

"Potter." He greeted, clearing his throat to smooth his voice over.

"Good morning, Malfoy." Harry said, confused by Draco's random act of friendliness. "No offense, but normally you don't act friendly to people unless you want something." The raven spoke.

Draco snorted. "You say it like you know me. But you're right about one thing, I do need to ask for a favor."

"And I should help you, why?" Harry rolled his eyes. Malfoy's back in business.

"Because if you're 'saint potter, the boy who defeated Voldemort twice', being nice and doing a favor shouldn't be too difficult for you." The blonde snapped.

"You know, you've been shockingly nice to me for the past few days. It seems now that you're back to your old ways. Did Voldemort's ghost crawl up your arse or something?" Harry scowled in reply.

Draco glared at him, stopping himself from saying anything else, scared he may reveal something about the dark lord's return. "Whatever, Potter. I need to borrow your cloak tonight at 9:00."

"Why so?"

"None of your business." Draco spat.

"It's my cloak, so it is my business." Harry rolled his eyes.

"I have to go see someone."

"We have detention with Hagrid." The raven reminded.

"Well this is more important than some stupid night out in the forest with all the wolves." The blonde sneered.

Harry glared at him. "Whatever. I won't lend you my cloak unless you let me come with you. I don't want you messing it up."

"Potter, you can't join me on this." He shook his head.

"Why not?"

"Merlin, Potter! Will you quit asking questions? It's none of your bloody business. All I'm asking for is a dumb cloak for an hour." Draco shouted.

The silver-eyed slytherin's face softened immediately, regret lingering in his eyes at his sudden outburst. "Please. Just one hour."

Harry narrowed his eyes, but soon realized that Draco was indeed serious. You could see the genuine pleas in his eyes. With that noted, he reluctantly agreed. "One hour."

"Thank you, Potter." The blonde's mood shifted. The corners of his mouth slightly tipped up into a gentle smile.

"You're welcome, Malfoy. Don't break my cloak." Harry grinned back, walking out of the room.

I'm coming, mother.