1.9 How to track down a old crush pt.1

I sat across from Rich and Jake at the kitchen table - the box placed on the table between us. 

We'd searched high and low around the house for the key to unlock the box, but we had no luck. It was as if the world had something against me - giving me amnesia and blocking my nearest hope at finding out who I am.

I don't know what I did wrong to deserve this - maybe it was the whole SQUIP thing - but life was doing a pretty damn good job at managing to make me completely miserable.

"For fuck's sake." Rich spat angrily. "Can't we just break it?" Rich asked impatiently. I sighed, shaking my head.

"It might break what's inside." I told him simply.

"It might only be pictures!" 

"Shake it."

Rich brought the box close to his ear, shaking the box lightly. Just as I'd done while we'd been looking for the key - we heard a slightly rattling sound. Rich sighed, looking as though he was about the throw the box out of the window.

Though, he took a deep breath and calmly put it back on the table, much to my relief. It didn't improve his annoyed mood though. "I can't believe this."

"I know." Jake agreed, fiddling with his phone in his hands. Absentmindedly, I watched him turn it on, flicking through social media. None of us minded though, we were all still trying to get our heads around the disappointment of coming so close, but yet so far.

"Wait holy shit." Jake jumped up in his seat, sitting straight. His eyes were wide, staring at his phone. "Christine's literally a block away from here!" He practically shouted, turning towards me and Jake.

"Don't you get it?" He looked back and forth between us multiple times. "Christine could know where the key to the box is!" Jake nearly yelled at us. Rich jumped to his feet, me standing closely behind him.

"Where is she?" I asked him, wondering exactly how close Christine was to my house. 

"She's literally at the Starbucks around the corner with Jenna Rolan - she was another girl we went to school with by the way." Jake told me.

"Pretty sure they are dating now." Rich added, wiggling his eyebrows at me knowingly. I shoved him, stamping on his foot.

"That's actually something to consider though." Jake hummed, frowning. "What if they're on a like private date or something - I don't think they'd appreciate us interrupting it." 

"Jake, I love you, but I really don't think 1. They go on a big private date to Starbucks and 2. Christine would not mind getting interrupted if she knew what has happened to Jeremy over here. She'll want to help." Rich got up on his tip-toes and pecked Jake on the cheek.

Jake huffed slightly. I hummed next to them, smiling. "You guys are adorable together." I commented. 

"We're usually way more cheesy than this. You've got us on a good day." Jake warned me. Rich popped up behind Jake.

"Yep, more cheesy and even more," He paused, licking his lips. "Horny." Jake gasped slightly, rolling his eyes and giving Rich a death stare, stamping on his foot.

"Rich!" Jake exclaimed, Rich just shrugging at Jake's outburst as I just laughed at the pair.

Eventually, we did manage to finally get out of the house without getting distracted and made our way to the Starbucks Jake had seen Christine put on her Instagram story. The story was only ten minutes old now, so Jake was positive that we'd catch them.

I followed Rich and Jake into the Starbucks, scanning the tables for any sign of what Rich and Jake described that Christine looked like. Nobody matched the description until-

"Jeremy!" From across the store, a small, bouncy woman jumped up - waving excitedly at me. That must be Christine. She had way too much energy. There was another woman sitting at the table, flushing and trying to get Christine to sit back down. That must be Jenna.

Rich and Jake nodded to me, confirming my suspicions. I began to walk towards them, Rich and Jake following closely behind me. Christine jumped up when we reached them. "Jeremy! Rich! Jake!" She beamed at us, embracing each of us in a big hug.

"I haven't seen you guys in ages! How are you? How's the new house Jere? You two married yet - I think you should be-"

"Chrissy, babe-" Jenna grabbed Christine by the arm, pulling her back into her seat. I looked between the two and back again. So they were dating.

"You guys should sit with us." Christine smiled at us. We shared a quick glance at one another, knowing all to well that maybe we wouldn't mention that we actually came here to find Christine by stalking her through her Instagram story.

"So," She began as we pulled up a few chairs at the table - barely fitting around it with such a small space. "How are you guys?" Jake nodded at Christine.

"Good, but me and Rich aren't married yet, sorry Chris." Jake smiled awkwardly at her.

I found myself fidgeting, leg bouncing uncontrollably - hyper aware of the fact that Christine currently did not know that I had amnesia and would have no idea what she was talking about if she referenced something between us.

"Yet?" Jenna grinned at him, chipping in unhelpfully into the conversation. Jake flushed bright red and I could of sworn I noticed him giving her a knowing glare. Rich seemed to just push away the comment.

"How's the house, Jere?" Jenna turned, asking me a question. I suddenly felt very put on the spot - I could feel all eyes on me, Rich and Jake's edged with worry while Christine and Jenna were totally unaware of the situation.

"Its- I, uh- It's good. Actually though, I-" I stuttered, but trailed off slowly. Christine almost bursting to say something. 

"Spoken to Mike recently?" Mike? Who's Mike? Did she mean Michael? 

"I, uh- no, I haven't." I found my eyes fixated on my shoes - not only my leg tapping, but my finger as well. 

"He's got that new number, hasn't he? Actually, Jere can you-" Christine was cut off by a sudden outburst from Rich in the form of a loud cough. I understood what he'd done immediately and decided to take the chance presented to me.

"There's actually a reason for that, Christine." I began, determined. "A week or so ago now, I was in a car crash. My phone broke and I woke up in the hospital a couple of days later and was told that I had, uh-" I swallowed, Christine and Jenna's eyes trained on me. 

"Amnesia."