2.8 How to go on an unplanned trip to the Philippines

My fingers traced the patterns on my seat. My other hand running anxiously up and down the seatbelt strapping me into the plane seat.

I reminded myself of the events leading me to this moment.

--

"Rich, do you know where we left that box?"

Rich nodded - giving me a confused look. "There was nothing useful in it though - I'm not sure how it's going to help us." Rich pointed out ever so helpfully. 

"I think I know how we can force a memory to trigger." I paused. "Try block this, fucking SQUIP." I muttered half to myself - half to the people around me. I'm not going to lie - the looks that I gained after the comment did make me feel seriously badass and edgy. 

Rich lead our small group into my bedroom - where he walked over to my desk and pulled out the familiar box from one of the drawers. He turned, handing it over to me - Jake and Christine watching curiously over my shoulder.

I sat down on the edge of my bed - Christine immediately appearing by my side as Jake and Rich stood in front of me. I took a deep breath, flipping the lid open.

I began to flip through the pictures - looking for a particular photo that had caught my eye before when we'd first found and looked through the box. The truth was - I had opened it again in desperation, hoping against hope that it would be different - it never was.

This time though, I knew what I was looking for - I understood what the photo must be. 

And this time, I recognised where the photo was from. 

I picked it up, staring at the smiling faces of myself and Michael - faces pressed together, backs leaning against a tree. The sky was clear - not a cloud in sight. It was a perfect day - a perfect, dream-like memory.

There was messy hand writing scrawled at the bottom. It read: 'Player Two V Philippines'. I'd assumed it was some inside joke I'd forgotten, but it seemed to hold so much more importance at this moment.

That memory - that very first, peaceful memory I got on the very first night - my happiest memory and now my most important and meaningful.

I closed my eyes - embracing the darkness before it even made it's own way to the front of my mind. I knew what this memory would be and this time - this time I knew how it would go.

The clouds were gone from the sky, letting it gain a beautiful clear blue colour. The place was void of human noise - only being able to listen to the chirps of bird's songs and the rustling of wildlife and the nature surrounding us.

It was calm, peaceful. I closed my eyes, taking a long intake of breath. I wanted to stay like this forever.

"Jeremy?"

My eyes jumped open, darting to the person sat next too me.