2.5 How to get back on track

"Jeremy!"

I was shocked to be met with the excited eyes of Christine Canigula, who jumped forward and embraced me in a hug. I stumbled back in shock, staring down at Christine clinging to me tightly. Eventually she let go, looking up at me with a glowing expression.

That's when I noticed Jake and Rich standing behind her, smiling softly at Christine's actions. I looked at them, shooting them a confused look. However, it was Christine that answered my confused state.

"I found a lead!" She squealed. "Jeremy I found a lead to where Michael could be!" My heart practically stopped as I stared at the smaller woman. There was a chance. After all this time - after giving up and loosing hope that I could ever remember who I used to be, now this world was giving me a chance? One last chance?

It felt cruel. Like life was taunting me with something just out of reach. I didn't want to build up hope that this could lead me to the answer I'd be longing for the past year. The answer to the big question: Who am I?

Christine kept her eyes fixed on me. "Don't worry Jeremy." She spoke in a lower, comforting voice. "I promise you this will lead us to him. This will lead you to... You." 

"But what if it doesn't?"

Christine looked at me sadly. "Don't talk like that. It will." She hesitated. "That's not the Jeremy I know speaking. He would never of given up like this. I promise you this is exactly what we've been waiting for. You'll remember, we'll find him - I promise."

"The thing is, Christine." I felt myself snap. "I'm not the Jeremy you know. The Jeremy you know is forgotten. You're just telling me empty promises. Even if we did find Michael - how do we know it will fix everything? Why are we assuming that that will make everything better - because what if it doesn't? Then it will just make everything worse."

I calmed down my ranting, noticing Christine's shocked expression. "I just- I just don't want to set myself up for failure. I built up hope before - with that box, but look how helpful that was." I spoke sarcastically.

"Dude," Jake interrupted me. "I know how disappointing that was for you, but I'm certain that this is going to be different." He glanced at Christine with a small smile. "With the lead Christine has found - we'll definitely find Michael." Rich nodded along as Jake spoke.

"You say you don't want to set yourself up for failure, but what if this isn't a mistake? What if this is the trigger to fix all of this? Isn't it better to just try than to give up completely? There's no harm in trying." I stared at my feet. I knew he was right, deep down.

"I- I just really want this to work." I muttered.

"And it will, I promise." Jake told me. "And that's not a empty promise." He added with a warming smile. Rich grabbed my wrist.

"C'mon then, Jere - let's go find you're 'riends'." Rich pulled him away from the pub, Jake and Christine walking along with him. I struggled back, trying to get out of his grip.

"Guys- I haven't finished- my shift!" I told them as I was pulled through streets. Rich looked back and winked at me.

"Oh don't worry about that, this is way more important - I'm sure they'll understand." He grinned. With a big sigh, I let a small smile creep onto my lips. Now willingly being pulled along by my friends.

We stopped at a unfamiliar house, Rich dragging me inside, followed closely by Jake and Christine. Christine stepped forwards, taking out her keys and unlocking the front door. This must be her house, I thought to myself.

Christine took us inside - leading all of us into her kitchen, where a laptop was open on the chipped kitchen table. Rich dragged me to a chair, gesturing for me to sit. Christine slid the laptop towards me - motioning for me to read the page pulled up on it. It was an social media account page - and from the looks of it, it had only just been created.

A social media page belonging to none other than Michael Mell.