2.9 How to be a stranger to yourself

I landed in the Philippines, crowds of people hurrying to get off the plane in a rush of backpacks and handbags. By the time I'd managed to get off myself, most of the families and other passengers had already disappeared into the even busier building in front of me.

I, myself was in no rush. I was still coming to terms with my adrenaline filled actions. The reality of the situation was hitting me now - how did I know that the address was right? How did I know-

"Hey, Mr? Can you please hurry now, we need to clear the runway and it is unsafe for you here,"

An flight attendant was looking at me curiously - eyebrows furrowed. After stuttering out a messy string of random words, I hurried away. Well that's just great. One minute in the Philippines and I've already managed to embarrass myself.

Eventually, I managed to pick up my suitcase and got through the long arrivals line. By the time I'd reached the exit, I was exhausted and defintely very tired of airports and it's security.

A car I'd hired was waiting for me in the car park, there were multiple scratches on it from past people and the inside was no better. It was cramped, small and stuffy. At this point, I couldn't care less about the car. I just wanted to be finished with travelling.

After a disastrous struggle of trying to figure out how the sat nav worked - I quickly gave up and decided to use google maps on my phone, which turned out to be just as much of an effort as I tried to find a place to balance it while I drove.

Finally - after what felt like centuries - I was on the road. I drove, taking according twists and turns when told - each road looking exactly like the next. There was complete silence in the car - I couldn't figure out how to turn on the radio.

An hour had past when I realised that I was quickly approaching my destination.

I suddenly felt very unprepared - exposed to something I was not ready for at all. Worries flooded in, how would he take it? What if the address was wrong? I tried to ignore the thoughts, but they kept coming in by the bucketload.

I pulled up by the side of the road, deciding against taking a spot in the driveway and by the side of the road I meant halfway down the road away from the identified house so that I could escape if something - anything went wrong. 

I stumbled out of the car before I could change my mind, walking with a feeble sense of determination. Yeah, guess what - I, Jeremy Heere, am a complete whimp.

Before long, I'd reached the end of the path leading to the door of the house. I took a deep breath, hoping that everything would turn out okay. That things could go back to normal - whatever that was at this point.

I guess I just want things to be simple and easy, not like the mess my life is like now.

I knocked briskly on the door, letting out a breath I hadn't even realised I'd been holding in. Each second that passed then felt like a stab in the stomach, the pain worsening each time. Maybe I am just impatient, but I was sure that over a minute had passed.