"Sleep Without You" - Brett Young

AN:  I have to once again thank BijinMum who occasionally lets me borrow Sampson. (in case you missed it I got a new chapter of Driven to Destiny for my birthday)  Also, I want to say hi to all of the moms since it's Mother's Day here in the States (I forget if it matches up in other places).  Now If I could just prompt roxandsand's muse for When the Lights Went Out (read it here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/142146271-when-the-lights-went-out) or 1Lisamurray's for Consequences (here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/35194129-blackbourne-investigations-02-consequences)...  (more notes at the bottom this time) Now onto --> The Standard disclaimer! I only own Lory. Everything else (except Sampson) is the property of C.L.Stone. Constructive criticism is welcome and even requested, but flames will be used to make s'mores. I love votes and views. Please let me know your favorite lines and moments. Happy Reading.

*~*~*~*~*

"I can't wait until I turn 18," Victor groans later that night as Lory is bent over the inside of his left arm. She had her phone in front of her and was blocking his view. He gritted his teeth and clenched his right fist to prevent him from squirming. The tickling was driving him insane. How had the others stood it?

"What's the big deal about 18?" Lory mumbled.

"I'll be an adult and can move out," he shrugged.

Lory looked up at him like he was crazy.

"What?"

"All you want is to move out?"

"Yes," Victor said warily.

"What's going on in your head?" Kota asked.

"Hm." Lory made an indeterminate sound in the back of her throat. As she went back to Victor's arm. "You're birthday is soon, right?"

"I'll be 17 on Sunday," he nodded. "We were planning a dinner tomorrow, without parents. I usually keep my birthday low key."

"Well consider this my birthday present," she chuckles. Then she looked up at him with a wicked smile. "Welcome to South Carolina, where you can move out at 17 and cannot be legally forced to return to your parents' house or listed as a runaway."

"What?" the boys all squawked.

"You still won't be considered an adult, although getting emancipated should not be difficult for you," Lory continued, "but yeah; you can move out and they can't do anything about it no matter how bad it makes them look in the society pages. However, if you want a little bit of easy revenge I'd go for emancipation and then sue for all the shit they bought with your money. Like that enormous house."

"Why do you assume that's my money? It could be my parents' money."

"Dude? Seriously? You think you're the only one that can do a background check?"

"What did you come up with?" Owen asked in curiosity. They hadn't discussed any background checks she'd done or how thorough. He was curious as to what conclusions she would have drawn. Lory looked at Victor for permission, Sang may not know some of this. Seeing him nod, she went back to looking at his arm. She could not look at him and do this.

"Mom's old money that chose 'beneath her' when she married George Morgan. Her parents didn't approve. George was a small-time businessman with lots of ambition. A dangerous combo. He's had a string of mistresses all paid quietly off, smart about the affairs, no hidden kids. Jasmine is even more careful, probably because the backlash against a woman is worse. I haven't found even one. Doesn't mean there hasn't been." Lory's recitation was flat and emotionless and she refused to look up. She knew the team had no real secrets to speak of, but still, no one liked to hear this kind of thing. She felt when Victor flinched and paused before continuing. "For a while, they lived in relative obscurity in a standard middle-class area because her parents made her live with her decision. Which was good for Victor because he met the others in the local public school. Victor starts piano lessons young, and overnight becomes a prodigy. He starts performances at 8 with some high profile results. Gets rich and famous. Grandparents who had been keeping things under control die when Vic's 11. The Morgans buy the big house on the peninsula. Grandparents' will list VICTOR as the heir. George and Jasmin can administer the estate, but can't touch the principle. EVER. However, during the year after they die, the Morgans are increasingly found in society and the society pages. Jasmine makes a bit of a splash showing off her son and his talent. Using it to open doors that closed in her face when she married George. Performance rates increase. At some point in there, the Academy - in the form of Owen - stepped in and the rate of performances plateaued. George has received a few promotions and makes good money on his investments, he's shrewd and capable. But he doesn't make the kind of money Owen makes and certainly not enough to support the lifestyle he lives. You, however, do. Between recordings and appearance fees and various other royalties, you make very good money. Owen invests for you which doesn't exactly hurt. Messers Dun and Bradstreet love you. And that's not including the inheritance when you turn 21."