12

I rushed back to the house, keeping Nico's still form close to my body.

At least, I thought I was heading back for the house. Not some old mansion.

An old mansion that looks like its straight out of a horror movie.

I mean, I can't see much of it. The glow from the flower and Riptide was granting enough light for me to see a few windows and the doors.

I bit my lip. Do I really want to do this? If Nico gets any worse, there isn't anyone around to help us. But if I wander around in the dark...well, I don't know what's all in the woods here. And I don't think I want to find out.

I walked towards the door and opened it, wincing at the loud creak.

I entered inside, pushing it shut. I carefully picked my way over to a corner. I sat down, laying my sword and the flower by my side while I had Nico on my lap.

I reached into the pocket of my sweats and drew out a flask of nectar.

I pressed it to Nico's lips, forcing him to drink some.

A bit of the nectar trickled out of his mouth and onto my clothes, but I didn't care. I just held him close to me while staring into the darkness.

I don't know why but my heart's beating out of my chest. It's like-

A darker shadow darted outside of my field of vision, causing me to tighten my grip on Nico.

I can't sense anything that has water in it or is disrupting water so...I'm probably screwed.

"Nico." I mumbled, shaking him as I saw the shadow again.

He groaned and mumbled something in Italian.

"Wake up Death Breath." I shook him harder, my heart still racing.

"What?" He mumbled, rubbing his head.

"I think we might be having an issue." I stared past him at the inky blob standing at the edge of the light.

Nico turned in time to see it float closer. The shape seemed to absorb the light from the flower, as bronze light still cast over it.

"A wraith. That's just great. Good thing you're used to dealing with ne Kelp Head, or else you'd be frozen." He staggered to his feet.

His sword ended up in his hand, the purple glow seeming to repulse the wraith.

"Go. Do not bother us and do not let anything hostile attack us while we rest." Nico ordered, waiting until the thing gave some sort of yes. Then he sat down.

He leaned his head back against the wall. "Where are we?"

"A place called Fablehaven. This place is chock full of myths. Also my one cousin is dating a unicorn."

"I didn't know you had anyone on your mom's side."

"Yeah, apparently she was given up for adoption when she was little." I sighed. "Are you good enough to get out of this place?"

"We'll be fine. The wraith is the only thing I can really sense in this place." Nico dropped his sword beside mine.

We sat in silence for a few minutes before I asked him a question.

"How are you and Will getting along?"

"Good."

"You asked him out yet?" I smiled.

"Percy! I don't even know if he likes me back."

I laughed and shook my head. "Nico, he's as much as a straight line as I am and you are more oblivious than I am. Ask the boy out. Or I'll do it for you."

He stared at me, trying to figure out if I was joking or not. Upon seeing that I wasn't joking, his face turned red.

"How about we take a nap and then get someplace a bit safer? I'm not so much worried about getting attacked than this place collapsing on us."

I shook my head, not wanting to stay here a moment longer. "You can't sense anything right now, but what if there's something a lot worse out hunting right now? If I can get us back to the pond- Why did you end up here?"

Nico chuckled and rubbed the back of his head. "I got attacked, panicked and shadowtravelled to you. To be fair, I expected you to be at camp or sonething."

"If I would have been at my dad's you would have died." I said.

He shrugged. "If I didn't run I was probably going to die anyway and you were the first person to come to mind. Well, the first person who wouldn't lock me in the infirmary for a week."

"I just might. Can you walk?" I asked, moving to stand. The floorboards creaked beneath my feet, making the house seem creepier than it already was.

Which is hard.

"I can stand so I think I'll be good. Besides, you could just carry me again."

"You're not light you know."

"Percy, you are the same girl who ripped a horn off of the Minotaur you do realize that right?"

I groaned. Why did the Stolls tell him that story?

"Come on baby cousin, let's take you to the nursery." I bent down and grabbed the flower. I tucked it behind my ear before lifting Nico into my arms, his sword dangling.

"I wasn't actually serious!" He flailed around, trying to escape my grip.

A smirk etched itself onto my face and I chuckled.

"Too bad so sad. Now come on, don't make me swaddle you."

Crap crap crappity crap

I have no idea what this was

Literally

I know there was something in the old manor but I can't remember what and the caretakers guide isn't helpful for that

And

Do you have ideas?

Also I was reading through this and I saw a chapter from last year and I'm like

Huh.

One book I started this year has thirty parts,

This one has 12

Anyway...

See yah