Chapter 2

If it could be possible, the tension grew thicker at Felix's words.

Then, all hell broke loose.

Chan lunges towards Felix, grasping for his shoulders, but Peacekeepers suddenly grip his arms and yank back before he can do damage.

"Are you out of your fucking mind, Felix?" His older cousin sobs the words, desperately trying to pull from the strong grip of the Peacekeepers. Felix feels shock run through his veins when Chan drops his affectionate nickname. "I have to be the one to go! Not you! Never, ever y--"

Chan is cut off by howling in pain, a taser suddenly plunged into his side.

This, in turn, causes Felix to leap forwards, only to be dragged back towards the stage in a similar fashion.

"Channie, you need to stay here and survive!" Felix is surprised by how strong his words are, tears pricking his eyes, turning and letting himself be taken to the stage. "You need to!"

Chan, temporarily collapsed from the pain, allows himself to be dragged away. Tears are streaming down his cheeks as he is taken back to the other eighteen year olds again. They band together to support his weight, helping him to Woojin. He cups Chan's face in his hands, also crying. Felix's cousin sunk down and shoves his face into Woojin's thigh, sobbing, with the black-haired boy whispering into his curly blonde hair.

There was nothing he could do now. What Felix had done, he could not take back.

Hyunah looks shocked, staring at the commotion going on with the boys. Determined, Felix faces her now, each step thudding with his heart. He feels the eyes of every person on him, making the hair on his neck stand up.

Jaebum is looking at him curiously, only looking away once Felix joins Hyunah on the stage, grasping the hand she extends like Lisa had.

"Well, that was rather exciting! What's your name, sweetheart?" She drops his hand, grasping the mic on the podium to turn it towards him.

"...Lee Felix." His voice is a little deeper than normal, more stronger.

He needed to do this.

Chan howls louder at hearing his name, and Felix tries to ignore the heartbreaking sound.

"And was that your brother, Felix?" Hyunah presses for more answers, visibly excited.

Felix clears his throat. "Yes, to me he is. I would do anything for him."

The blonde focuses on the past as he speaks. Chan's bright smile while they threw nets into the sea from rocks, laughing while mucking around on the job. Sunnier, happier days.

Felix sucks in his breath hard, breaking his steady gaze on District 14 and looking at the floor.

"Well! Let's all clap for Felix, shall we? What a brave boy, volunteering for his dear brother."

Nobody claps. Instead, they solemnly look towards him. Was it out of pity? Hope? Hyunah directs for Lisa to join him at the front of the stage.

"I present to you your new tributes of District 14, Lalisa and Felix!"

----------

Being ushered off the stage into town hall made the realization of what Felix had done sink in.

Flanked by the past winners, they walk in silence into the buiding. Jaebum rests a hand on Felix's shoulder, and Sunmi wraps her arm around a sobbing Lisa. Directing them into separate rooms, the door shuts behind them with an audible click.

"What you did back there was insane."

Jaebum breaks the silence, and Felix glances up before cowardly looking away. His steady gaze is piercing, with that very same hint of emotion behind it. The black-haired man is standing by the single window, looking out to the town centre below.