Chapter 8

It was as if time stood still.

Felix couldn't hear the crowd roar in response to the video. All he could hear was the rapid beating of his heart and the tinny sound of static.

The feeling of panic.

Felix was quite scared for the games now, after his and Changbin's questionable relationship was blasted on television across the country like that. It wasn't illegal to be homosexual, but Felix knew that the inner circle were quite reserved towards it.

He remembered how they constantly covered up stories of people being accidentally beaten to death, knowing full well why they were. Chan had been so scared to recieve the same treatment when his feelings for Woojin came to light.

Felix seems to snap back into focus. The Capital is cheering and hooting, and the buzzer goes off. Minho's hand is covering his mouth. Changbin seems to be in shock, not realizing he has to move, until Minho moves his hand to thank him for being there.

The red-haired man looks pained as Changbin stands up, but quickly masks it with a smile and laugh.

He takes his seat next to Felix, dazed, feeling every eye on the two of them. The girl from the next team steps forward when her name is called, after staring lengthily at them along with everyone else.

Felix just wanted the interviews to end.

He spends the next painstaking minutes staring at his lap, refusing to look up. His cheeks are bright red, and his heart is beating fast.

Changbin likes him.

The realization sinks in, and despite the embarrassing situation he feels almost giddy. Changbin had a crush on him. A soft spot.  An infatuation. Puppy love.

Maybe Felix felt the same. He'd grown fond of the darker boy over the last few days.

Finally, the interviews are over, but none of them as exciting as Changbin's. They stand for the national anthem, and Felix flickers his eyes to Changbin's face. He's looking away.

They're released from their seats, and paraded back into the lobby of the Training Centre. Night has fallen fully now, and the lobby is lit with white lights.

The blonde turns, ready to talk to Changbin about what the hell just happened, but he's already stalking away towards the elevator. Felix pushes past the other tributes and mentors, ignoring the stares, and reaches out to grasps Changbin's arm.

Before he can, however, Yoongi beats him to it. He's grasped Changbin's shoulder, shooting Felix a look that says 'not here'. He boards the elevator alongside the black-haired boy. It takes Felix a moment to realize Changbin's shoulders are shaking.

He awkwardly pauses, watching the two ride up alongside other tributes and mentors. A strong hand grips his shoulder.

"Felix. Let's go somewhere private."

The blonde turns, catching Jaebum's steely gaze. They board the other elevator, squishing in alongside two teams of girls. They whisper between themselves, not looking at Jaebum and Felix until they reach their floor.

Stepping out, it takes the 16 year old a moment to realize Changbin is yelling at an equally angry Yoongi.

"No, fuck off! What makes you think that's okay?" Changbin spits the words. He's sitting on the couch, arms folded, while Yoongi paces. His tie is undone, and suit jacket strewn on the floor.

Yoongu looks slightly relieved at the sight of Jaebum and Felix, but Changbin just turns pink and he refuses to look at the blonde. "Look, I think this is an opportunity for sponsorship. We can use this for your advantage. Play it off as two poor lovers trying their best to save each other, especially because of the special theme of this Hunger Game."