Chapter 4

4:05 sent me

----------

The chariots make one last lap of the stage before heading inside another building, which Felix is sooned informed that it's called the 'Training Centre'.

Felix gently grips Lisa's hand when the chariot pulls to a stop, with Jaebum and Sunmi approaching them from inside. After being allocated into teams, a worried feeling had settled into his stomach, but seeing their wide smiles it changes into small butterflies.

"You both looked fantastic out there. Well done." Jaebum helps the two down, staff members leading the horses away.

"So, the team thing--"

"Jaebum." Felix is cut off by a short man approaching them, grasping his mentor's shoulder. His catlike eyes crinkle as he smiles. "We meet again."

"Yoongi," he curtly nods, taking note of the sour boy trailing behind him. "Seo Changbin, is it?"

Felix swallows hard, catching his dark eyes for a moment before looking down. His hand remains linked with Lisa's, who gently squeezes it.

"This Training Centre was built specifically for the Quarter Quell," Jaebum explains, frowning, before holding out his wrist. It's etched with red.

"At the elevator there is a system that scans and identifies you, and implants a chip in your arm." He looks visibly irritated. "To prevent Tributes from crossing between teams, you may only go to your allocated floor and the training facilities. This chip makes sure of that."

Felix feels nervous, looking at the slightly raised skin. The blonde had never ridden in an elevator before.

In an alarmed tone, Lisa asks what he had also been thinking. "What happens if we try to go to another floor?"

"Nothing," Jaebum says, chuckling. "It just says access denied. However, the elevator won't move without one. It seems a bit silly, forcing even the mentors to need these chips."

"Oh..." Felix frowns, running his fingers through his blonde hair. Sunmi wraps an arm around Lisa's shoulders.

"I'd better take Lisa over to Jennie," she says gently, noting how Felix hadn't let go of his hold on her. Embarrassed, he unlaces their fingers, Changbin's eyes travelling slightly to Felix's face.

"I'll see you later, Felix." Lisa's words are half hearted, and she pushes a smile onto her face as she's led away. This leaves Jaebum, Yoongi, Felix and Changbin to make their way to the elevator.

The ground floor of the Training Centre is very fancy but very empty, with Peacekeepers lining either side of the elevator door. There is no front desk, and the only way in and out of the building is locked with the same scanning system. Felix shivers despite warmth filling the room from heated vents, realizing they were very much trapped here until the games began.

Yoongi approaches the scanning system at the elevator, inputting his name and placing his wrist under the allocated space. He stares directly into a camera, deadpan. It beeps, confirming his identity, and the machine stamps his wrist. He barely twitches.

"Felix," Jaebum prompts, and the blonde eyes the machine suspiciously. "Your turn."

"I'll go first," Changbin growls, pushing past them. He shoves his wrist under, inputting his name like how Yoongi had done, staring blankly at the camera. After a few seconds, it beeps, stamping his wrist. He flinches, but doesn't move otherwise.