Part 1

He sighed, feet dragging. It wasn't because he was particularly tired, he couldn't help but feel defeated at what a waste of a day it had been. Despite his best efforts, he hadn't earned anything today or the day before or the day before that. He would be fine for maybe a week longer if he skipped a few meals; he needed to find something. He sat on the curb as the crowd dwindled, everyone going home to their families.

He was alone.

Not completely. Its voice crooned in his head.

"You don't count," he mumbled under his breath, hoping not to be overheard.

If I didn't know better, I might think you're trying to hurt my feelings.

"You don't have feelings." He replied flatly.

Oh, little one, you know me so well. He could feel it smirking.

"Hey." The girl caught his attention. "Didn't I see you around yesterday?"

He vaguely recognized her as the leader of one of the local crews, mostly comprised of the city's outcasts and orphans.

"Probably," he shrugged. "Trying to find work, y'know."

She nodded, she did know, that's why she started her crew. "Well, you can come join us if you've got nothing better to do." She gestured vaguely at the other young men and women, even a few kids, who seemed to be with her. "We have a job coming up and could use some extra hands."

She made it sound like it was no big deal,probably to protect his pride, but he had no qualms admitting that he needed this. "That sounds great."

***Author's Note***

Thanks for reading the first part of the story.

What are some of your initial thoughts?

If you liked it don't forget to comment and vote :)