Part 5

Oddly, everything went back to normal. For the next few days they went and did jobs as usual without any weirdness interrupting. He became closer to the group and took a more active role in each job they completed. He was hopeful for the first time in a long time, though still worried for the rest of the group. By the time everyone woke up their hands were clean, there was no way to know what, if anything, was lurking beneath his teammate's skin until it came out.

Then they had visitors.

He didn't recognize them right away, but it sensed them almost immediately. Its kin were within the two men that came to talk to the group. Not only within, but unlike his, the ones inside the two men were at the surface not buried deep.

"Nice to see you all again," one said.

It was obvious from the ease of their stance that they didn't sense what was inside him. They stood with an air of confidence that said they believed they were the most powerful people in the room. Probably due to the beings within them. It seemed arrogant for the men to have them so close to the surface, projecting their presence, didn't they know others could sense that?

"Hello, again." He tensed when the lead girl stepped forward as she spoke; he wanted to keep her, and the rest of the crew, away from them. "Do you have another job for us?"

"Yes," the other replied. "but we only need some of you."

"That's not how we do things," she said.

"Don't worry, everyone in the group will get paid. It's just that it's a small job that requires certain skills."

She hesitated, glancing back to the group. He wanted to tell the two to take a hike, but the rest seemed more than willing to work for this client again. "Okay."

The men called out a handful of names, including his and the lead girl's. He realized with a sinking feeling that the men must be here to collect the products of what they had done days before.

At least you won't be alone anymore.

"I wasn't alone," he said to himself, not realizing it came out.

One of the men looked over at him then back to his partner who waved it off.

Once the group had been selected they left withthe men.

***Author's Note***

Thanks for reading!

If you liked it don't forget to comment and vote :)