one

01. root and stem

THE PLANET OF ILIA was not unaccustomed to heat

THE PLANET OF ILIA was not unaccustomed to heat. It had seen many droughts and many storms in it's years of existence. It's nature had been dried out and brought to life again, more than any man could count.

It was on a particular warm evening when Vada stood on her balcony, overlooking the city. The Capital, also named Ilia, was a busy place. There lived over a million people, if she was to believe her maid, nonetheless it was always busy. But it was quieter now, more than usual. The people knew what was coming, it had been a fearful announcement. There were protests but the King assured everyone they would be safe. It would do them no harm and many goods.

Vada didn't know if her father spoke the truth when he said that, at least not yet. After all, it all depended on her, and her alone. She would infiltrate the heart of the organization and cut its throat when needed be. If she were to do one minor thing wrong, all her people would be at risk. She had to make sure she did everything right.

A knock on her door made her go back inside her chambers and she sat back down on the loveseat near the fireplace.

"Come in," she spoke gracefully, as a Princess should. She knew exactly how to behave in the Castle, around the people who watched her every move.

The door opened, it was her father. She was relieved. He might've been the King, but he was also her father. She didn't need to be as well-mannered around him as she did with the rest of the court.

"Hello darling," he said. He sat down on the other loveseat across from the one Vada was in. "I came to check up on you."

She smiled at her father. "I'm fine. Don't worry." But she knew that answer wouldn't ease his mind.

His frown spoke for him. "I know, but...I want to ask again, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Like I've said a million times already, I do." She nodded and gave him a smile. "I've trained for this since I was ten years old, I can take care of myself. Trust me."

He intertwined his fingers nervously. "It's not you I don't trust. Those people, they're evil, sunshine. You're not. I don't want them to change you."

She thought about it for a few seconds, but her answer was clear. There was no way the First Order would ever change her spirit. Her intentions were clear, not to them but to herself, they would never falter.

"They won't change anything, I promise," she told him. He nodded and hugged her, tighter than he usually did, before he left.

She was left alone with her thoughts and the crackling of the burning wood. Her fingers twisted the rings around her other hand at least a thousand times. She was nervous. More than she'd ever been. Not even when she went to battle with the Silver Forces, had she felt so nervous. Perhaps it was because an entire universe depended on her to restore their freedom. That was a lot to take in.

She changed into her night robe and laid in her bed uneasy. Tomorrow her world would change forever, maybe even more than she had anticipated. But the decision was made. She would infiltrate the First Order and she would destroy them from the inside out. She'd rip Snoke out root and stem, if she had to.