four

04. different

HER DOOR OPENED WITHOUT warning

HER DOOR OPENED WITHOUT warning. Her guard, Eroc – a broad man with a tanned skin and deep brown eyes, stood at her door.

"Your father and his guests await you in the throne room, your Highness," he told her. She nodded and made her way out of her chambers with one final deep breath.

Her dress dragged behind her on the floor, as well as Eroc shadowing her. It was his job after all. It was a long way to the throne room. She knew she was late. She figured her subconscious did it on purpose, to give her more time to prepare. She was supposed to be there before the guests entered the Castle but she was sure they were already here now, she was so lost in her thoughts she didn't even keep track of the time.

After a few minutes of walking in silence she reached the throne room's large oaken doors. Vada hated walking through them because they always drew all the attention to her. She hated interrupting people amidst their conversations.

With a heavy heart she let Eroc push the doors open for her and she walked through them. The throne room was big but not massive so she saw all the heads, with and without helmets, turn to her. She kept quiet as she confidently walked past all the First Orders emissaries and towards her fathers throne.

Her brother, younger than her by three years and the current heir to Ilia's throne was already stood by his fathers side. He gave her a silent look of anger, probably because she was late. But her father did not gave her such a look. Instead, he stood up and he hugged her, in front of all the emissaries.

While her brother, Astin, stood to her fathers right side, she stood to his left, behind them were many of the King's advisors.

Vada's gaze searched the small crowd. There were a few people without helmets on, but most of them did. There were approximately fifteen stormtroopers, they were all in white and one, who had a red shoulder-piece seemed to be their leader.

Then there were three people without helmets on, two of them stood behind the other, they held notepads and seemed on edge. The other – a man with a sour look on his face and hair that reminded Vada of a rising sun, or the orange fruit in the Castle Gardens – stood before them.

The King laughed, "excuse my daughter, General," he told the man after he sat back in his throne. "She would sleep all day if she could."

Vada smiled at this statement as if she found it funny or as if she related to it, but she didn't. She was always a light sleeper, ever since her mother died.

"Let's skip the small talk, Torin," the ginger haired man said sharply. "I do not care for unimportant stories about a Princess."

Vada was surprised her father did not say anything about this statement, or about how the General did not address her father as 'King' or 'your Grace'. But she figured he had to keep up a good face in front of these people, so she understood.