Chapter Twenty Two

Bella still appears to be dead, Edward sits at her side watching her.

"It won't be long now, right?" Edward asks looking at Carlisle as he enters the room behind him.

"No, Alice thinks it'll be soon" Carlisle answers. "Tonight" Edward nods and looks to Bella.

"How's Cat?" he asks, Carlisle nods a little.

"Yeah, she's....hanging in there" Carlisle looks to Edward who looks across to him.

"It's all my fault" Edward tells him. "If I'd never..."

"Then Catherine would never have fallen in love with Jacob..." Carlisle corrects, Edward looks to Bella. "She's happy with him....you have to see that"

"I do" Edward agrees. "Just...wish wasn't with him" Edward looks up and smirks a little. Carlisle shoots him a look. "Despite everything, I do want her to be happy.....and I do want her to live"

"We all do" Carlisle tells him and grabs a blanket from the side before leaving. Edward sighs and looks back at Bella.

.......................

Jacob strokes Catherine's hair as she lays with her head in his lap. There's music playing, some cello tune or something, Jacob doesn't know, it's nice, he guesses, peaceful, soothing.

"What about Daniel?" Jacob states, Catherine smiles.

"It's nice" she tells him. He chuckles and pokes her nose.

"But?" he asks moving his hand to her stomach.

"I don't know...I want something....different" he chuckles and nods.

"Alright.....Xeon? Or Atlas? Or Blaze? Oh......Phoenix! Please let us call him Phoenix, that would be so cool" she shoots him a look. "Too different?" she nods. "Hmmm" he smiles. "Oh. Oh. I got it" he states, she raises an eyebrow. "Niklaus" Catherine sits up and looks to Jacob softly. "You don't like it?" he asks, she smiles and kisses him.

"No, I don't like it" she tells him, he pouts. "I love it" she corrects him, he chuckles and pulls her closer.

"But are you so sure it's a boy?" he asks placing his hands on her stomach, there's no bump, given that her body can't change, and that it's all on the inside but he can imagine. Catherine places her hands on his.

"It's just a feeling" she tells him. "Jacob" she whispers, he raises his eyes from their hands. "I want you to promise me something" she tells him, he frowns. "If...If I die..." he shakes his head. "Just listen" he presses his forehead to hers. "If I die.... promise me that you'll look after him"

"Cat" he begs.

"Promise me....that you'll protect him and look after him....and you'll tell him about me and don't....hate him for this....it's not his fault" he kisses her jaw. "Promise me, Jacob" he nods.

"I promise" he tells her softly.

"You mean it?" she asks, he nods.

"Yeah, Cat, yeah, I mean it"

"I'll tell Rose and she'll make sure" she tells him just before she 'passes out', he sighs and wraps an arm around her back before turning and laying her back onto the sofa. Jacob touches her stomach and smiles sadly.

"Don't kill her" he begs of his 'son'. "Cause she's the smart one and I haven't got a clue" he sighs and looks to the doorway where Carlisle stands, Jacob clears his throat and leans up.

"Sorry" Carlisle offers. "I just came to give you both this" he holds up a blanket, Jacob nods. Carlisle sets the blanket under Catherine's head and strokes her cheek. "How many is this?" he asks.

"Four, in the last half hour" Jacob answers. "They're fewer...but she's out longer" Carlisle nods agreeing, he places his hand on Catherine's abdomen.

"Time them" Carlisle tells him. "Time each time, make a note of how long she's out for....."

"We should do it now" Jacob tells him. "While we know she'll live"

"If we do it now, they could both die" Carlisle corrects. "Timing has to be perfect..." Jacob lays his head back and sighs pushing the balls of his hands into his eyes. "Have you spoken to Sam?" Carlisle asks. "In case you can't do this"

"I will do it" Jacob corrects. "She's my imprint, this is my child, I will be the one to do this"

"But if you can't" Carlisle offers softer. "If when it comes down to it....if you can't...." Jacob nods a little.

"I'll stay with her" Leah offers from the doorway, Jacob looks to her. "I'll howl" they share a look. Jacob stands and nods.

"Okay" Jacob looks to Catherine softly before leaving.

...................

Jacob approaches Emily's and walks in, most of Sam's pack lounging about, Paul looks to him and scoffs.

"Bored of the leeches already?" he mocks.

"Where's Sam?" Jacob asks, Sam leaves the kitchen and looks to him. "I need your help"

"With what?" Jacob sighs and looks around before nodding.

"Cat....she's pregnant" the pack all fall silent to stare at him. "And yes, I am the father.....only...there's a problem...."

"Urm she's a vampire?" Embry offers.

"Actually yes" Jacob nods. "Her body can't adapt....and Doc's got nothing that'll cut her open...." Sam nods.

"You want one of us to do it" Sam states. "To...bite into her?" he asks.

"No, I mean yes.....but only if I can't..."

"Is it even possible?" Quil asks.

"Yes" Billy states rolling in, Jacob looks to him. "So I have to hear I am to be a grandfather by eavesdropping?"

"Dad" Jacob begs. "Sorry, I just....I haven't left her since...since we figured it out like three days ago...wait...how did you know it was possible?"

"Taha Aki had an older brother, Tama, the true Alpha of their pack" Billy starts. "But he imprinted on a Cold One....and his pack abandoned him and Taha took command, Taha cast Tama aside for loving the Cold One. And when they heard she was with child.....they killed her and her unborn child in front of Tama before they killed him too" Billy looks to Jacob and then to Sam. "Don't let it happen again, you have to be better then them..."

"I'll do it" Jared offers. "If you can't, I'll do it" Jacob looks to him. "Is Cat going to die too?" Jacob looks away.

"I don't know....I don't know what's going to happen"