Chapter 1 - Friends and untold secrets

Bad Luck And Second Chances

[ Chapter 1 - Friends and untold secrets ]

**Flashback**

"April... Please don't say that... It's okay, you were just helping me, right?" he said. April looked up, and looked him in his eyes. She tried to look like she believed him, but her eyes were getting watery.

Even though he noticed her sadness ,which she was trying to hide from him, he decided to leave her without giving her the chance to give him a response. Before leaving, James asked her: "Why are your so sure that I'll get mad at you... You from all people... Are you that scared of my other side?"

-April's P.O.V.

The thought of that day had been going through my mind for a week now. Why was I scared of him? You aren't supposed to be scared of someone who you love, right? And what other side was he talking about? I had to stop thinking about him. Even if it was only for the last 30 minutes of the Dutch class.

James was sitting on a table two rows behind me. I wanted to turn around and look at him. I wanted to look at his beautiful hazel coloured eyes, his jet black hair which was always looking perfect and his smile...

No! Why was I thinking about him again? Focus! I had to pay attention. Ugh, who am I kidding? I had not been listening to the teacher and I didn't even know what she was talking about. Sometimes, I wished that I wasn't born here... The Netherlands... It's always cold when you think it's going to be a summery day. And when you think it's going to storm and the rain will mess up your hair, it ends up being a beautiful hot day.

"April.Psst, April." said Ria.

The weather here is always like this. I tried the Dutch grammar exercise. I hoped that it was the right one though. I didn't want to ask the teacher what we were supposed to do. Since I've always been one of the A students of my class. If I asked her that, she'd get mad and yell at me for not paying attention. And she would tell me that I will fail my final exam at the end of the year if I kept on behaving like that blah blah blah...

"April..."

I got goosebumps all over me when I heard the whispering voice. I knew whose voice that was. I looked behind me and my eyes immediately met the light green ones. James' eyes.

James pointed to the girl who was sitting next to him. Ria, the girl who is my cousin somehow. Nobody knows how to explain how we are related, but we are apparently.

"Hmm...?" I asked.

When I realized that he pointed at Ria, James brought me back to planet Earth. Ria had been trying to get my attention ,but as always I was daydreaming. She had been calling my name and I didn't even hear it. But when James whispered my name... I couldn't resist to look behind me. I hoped that nobody noticed my awkwardly fast movement.

"Wow, you didn't even hear me, huh?" Ria asked, while she was smiling like she had caught me sleeping in class or so. "No, I really didn't..." I was actually being honest. How is it possible that I didn't hear her bossy voice, when I did hear the whispering voice of James? Ria looked at me like she was feeling hurt. "If you we're ignoring me, you can just tell me. You don't need to lie about it, April." I rolled my eyes. Ria was craving for attention again, I think.

Since the past two years, Ria had changed a lot. She had gotten a lot bossier, and a lot meaner. Even towards me. And if she wasn't being mean, she was trying to get attention from "popular kids" or the boys from our classes. I hated this side of her. Why does she act like that? Can't she just be herself?

The reason why she was basically calling my name for 10 minutes, was because she didn't know how to make the Dutch grammar exercise we were supposed to make. Why did she have to bother me about that? She could've just raise her hand and ask the teacher to explain it to her, right? I helped her anyway, but I didn't bother getting up from my seat. During the pointless explanation to "my cousin", I noticed that James was still looking right at me. He was enjoying the way Ria was getting on my nerves. His lips were curved into a slight smirk. He was looking stunning in that moment. And with that, I was sort of multitasking. I was staring out of the corner of my eyes at James, but at the same time I was trying to tell to Ria that she was getting the exercise finally and that she could easily make it by herself. But as always, Ria got of the topic of the grammar exercise and she started talking about how great her shoes were looking.

******************************************************

It was finally lunch time and I couldn't get any faster to the locker area. I threw some of my books back into my locker and got my other books. I went to the canteen, but as always none of my friends were there. Even James wasn't sitting somewhere in the canteen. James had a lot of friends. I don't know if you can say that he was popular, but almost everyone knew him. In the morning everyone would greet him. Girls were always around him when he wasn't with his friends or some of his other jerk friends. I hated to seen him with other girls, besides the ones who were just his friends. It were the type of girls, who would do anything for some guy attention. I was disgusted by the thought of these girls.

I got to the theater hall of our school. This is were my friends and I often hang out during lunch or when we had a spare hour.

"Hey losers!" I said to my friends. They all started to laugh. Stella frowned. "Am I really a loser to you? Is that what you think of me? After all these years of beautiful friendship , you're saying that you're better than me? Sorry, but you just broke my heart." We looked each other seriously in the eyes, but we couldn't hold it during the staring contest and we stared to laugh like we had nothing to worry about. Ryan shook his head while he laughed with us. "You two are the biggest dorks of all, really!" Stella and I looked at each other again, we turned ourselves to Ryan and said: "Well, so are you!"

After a few minutes I was getting a weird feeling, but I shook it off. Stella gave me various looks. Like she was trying to make me conscious of what or who was standing behind me. I looked behind me and I froze. Ryan's voice got me out of the spell. He said that his class was starting in a minute. He hugged Stella, Alyssa (who is his girlfriend and one of my two best girl friends) and as last he hugged me. But a little longer than the others. While he hugged me, he said:" Don't be so obvious, loser..."

What was Ryan talking about? I wasn't being obvious about anything at all. Maybe he thought that I was staring at James because I liked him? Who said that I like James? James from all people! Stunning-looking James with the beautiful light green coloured eyes... I really needed to stop thinking about James. Ryan was seeing things which weren't there, I thought. I decided that I had to talk to Ryan right after school. I needed to know what he meant by being obvious.

I noticed that Alyssa and Stella we're both smirking at me. I had been making various faces while I was questioning the words which Ryan said. And because I was still standing in a way that my face was faced towards James, he saw all of the awkward faces that I made. I looked sheepishly at him and he just smiled, like he knew the answer to my question about Ryan's words.

A/N:

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT, IT'LL MOTIVATE ME TO KEEP WRITING (ღ˘⌣˘)ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ

Arshiiax3.