Chapter 9

✐ ✎ ✐ ✎

Chapter 9

(Y/n)

Rounds of warm air brushed (Y/n)'s shoulders as she sauntered to the Diaz's tent with a groggy pattern, for today's work was to-the-bone tired. She wanted to check on Daniel because he had been in the tent for awhile, but she was sure he was asleep; he deserved  the nap after trimming so many weed buds.

Merrill sure do like pointing his sausage fingers around and ordering us to do so much work, she thought. (Y/n) stood still and stared at the Diaz's tent with a lazy focus, lost in thought for a bit.

Like c'mon, trimming over 30 weeds and cleaning all of the junk outside? Big Joe's bald head and his annoying attitude doesn't make it easier either, she complained with a stale, yet sullen expression. She escaped a deep sigh of exhaustion, as she swept the green covers of the tent to the side. Merrill and Big Joe are the bosses at the cannabis farm, and (Y/n) pretty much disliked them, which wasn't rare; everyone in camp never enjoyed their company—but paydays are worth all of the troubles.

(Y/n) slowly poked her head inside the tent and saw Daniel napping (as she expected). He was nestled up like a curled caterpillar, his arms on his right side. His long and shaggy hair covered part of his face; he looked so innocent—like a little child, which he was, but he disliked being called such title anymore.

It kind of saddened her that the Diaz brothers are no longer in good terms, and they sometimes fight about the most trivial things: chores, bedtimes, how each other walk ... but they fight most about Daniel's attitude—which had changed dramatically over the course of a month and a half; Daniel had became more emotional, and he kept throwing attitudes at Sean—but with (Y/n), he tends to be more nicer. (Y/n) understood that Daniel just wanted to be a normal kid... And he went through so many things: being homeless, the lost of mushroom, always on the run ...

But also think about how Sean is feeling, Daniel... she thought, as she looked groggily at Daniel with a frown on her face. You guys are family, and you can't be separate now. Family ... can't be separated.

(Y/n) leaned inside, grab ahold of the blanket, and pulled them over his shoulders. She half-smiled with her eye bags playing a big part in her expression. She slumped her shoulders and gently bit the inside of her mouth, tilting her head down slightly. I wonder how everyone is doing ... Mother, Father and the others.

A whole month and a half had passed, and there was no luck in contacting her family. Hell, maybe they're not even in this universe. She just wanted to know answers on how she got there that particular day, and how all of this was possible: real, logical answers... She had considered telling Sean so many times—about the truth—about everything. But she's so scared that he will misunderstand and just ... depart from her. So, her mouth had been shut for the past month.

The sudden urge to see Sean in her chest made her snapped out of her melancholic thoughts. She let out deep sigh before standing up and closing the curtains behind her.

The camp was quiet as (Y/n) stepped out of the Diaz's tent. Only birds chirping, the static sound of air and nature were heard. It was truly peaceful and primordial, as the orange sun shone down to the Redwood Forest, the trees limiting the light to the forest floor. A particularly sweet boy sitting in the middle of camp, with no one around, made the scene a bit more serene than she had anticipated. His fingers held a pencil, and he traced lines on his worn-out notebook. He studied the sight before him carefully, and he copied the scenery in his sketchbook with his good artist memory ... and skills.

Art drawing art. Very bold of you to do such thing, Sean, she thought with a quiet chuckle.

She sauntered towards him with her arms on her back, her index fingers intertwined. She plotted herself a few inches in front of Sean, whom was sitting on a camp chair. "Hey."

He immediately set his journal and pencil on his lap. "Hey," he said back, but with a timid and generous smirk.

She playfully leaned towards him to see his journal. "What are you drawing?"

Sean frantically picked up his sketchbook and held it up high. "Whoa, whoa! D-don't do that out of the blue!" he pouted. "It's not my best drawing..."

(Y/n) bubbled her cheeks with a petulant look. "False: your drawings are always so good!" She enthusiastically pointed at herself. "I'm your biggest fan." She smirked.

Sean somewhat rolled his eyes with a little smug on his face. "Thanks," he chuckled out. He opened his sketchbook and tilted it to the recent page. "Here," he said and held out the journal, "since you claim to be my biggest fan; And I don't like disappointing my fans."

(Y/n) took the book with a smile of success. "Awesome!" she gleefully cheered out. She plotted herself back down on the ground and focused on the sketch. As her eyes gazed on the page, the more impressed she became. Sean is like ... the new fucking Picasso! she yelled out in her mind.

"Is it that good?" he chuckled with a humble tone. "Your face is quite cute with expressions like that." He, then, imitated (Y/n)'s expression when she saw his drawing: eyes wide opened and mouth slightly separated.

She looked up at him. "You just called me cute."

"Y-yeah. And what about it?"

She gave him a goofy smile with her eyebrows raised.

"Stop...!" Sean laughed out. "You're so creepy," he jested. He got out of his chair and seated himself down next to (Y/n).

"Why no chair?" she asked.

"What? You don't like my company?"

"I always like your company."

He scooted closer to (Y/n), and it felt like his scooting motions have feelings—expressions of its own: awkward and timid. Sean is always so awkward, but that's what (Y/n) find cute about him.

With no hesitation, (Y/n) set down the sketchbook, brought up her hand and reached for Sean's long and shaggy hair. She touched the strands on the side of his eye with a nonchalant expression, feeling the length of it. The Diaz brothers and her had been together for long enough to feel comfortable with each other now; it was no use to be so timid over this. But she felt herself blush. Darn.

Sean smiled a bit. "You like my new hairdo?" he asked and tilted his head, dragging (Y/n)'s fingers along.

"Looks fucking cool," she said with amusement. "I like it long and shaggy."

She brought her hands back to her side, and the two teens stared at each other with promising smiles. It felt like (Y/n) could almost see bronze stars in Sean's eyes, if she stared closer, she'd probably will. His lips were full and quite pale, and it always looked so kissable to her. He looked so wise now, unlike her memory of him from Episode 1 and 2.

Is it just my imagination, or did Sean just slightly leaned in closer? she started to panicked in her thoughts. I wonder if he can see all of my flaws... He's looking so closely!

After staring closer to (Y/n), Sean slowly yielded back with a somewhat guilty look after some thoughts. He hesitantly looked away, specifically at the ground on her left.

"(Y/n) ... I have to tell you something," he said after a few seconds. He looked back at her, and his voice suddenly toned down. "It's kind of important."

(Y/n) took the biggest breath in her mind. "What is it?" She looked at him sincerely. She leaned in closer unintentionally with a confused and careful look—almost like a rabbit, thinking whether if it should take the human's offering of food.

Sean gazed at her like she was something ...great. (Y/n) could've sworn she saw his eyes twitched once. His mouth separated for a bit, then he brought them back together, silencing himself to speak. He flashed her a half-smile, slighting shaking his head. "You should get some major sleep. Your eyes looks like it's been painted with coal," he laughed and he flicked her head.

(Y/n) whispered a quick, "Ow," and covered her head with the palm of her hand. "That was the important thing you wanted to tell me?"

He stood up with a quiet grunt. "Yep. Sleep is important," he said. He looked away. "And you're also important ... so, yeah."

"Was that really it?"

"Yeah."

"My eyes?"

"Coal."