Chapter 18

✐ ✎ ✐ ✎

Chapter 18

(Y/n)

When they felt like they've ran long enough, they decided to rest. With their injuries, they have gone tired quick, but they they were far enough from the hospital.

From the look around them, the place seemed like a tourist spot, for their were many guides and sight seeing views. A short wooden rail blocked off the cliff, and a small platform of the same material was planted on the ground to where the short rail ends. The birch trees sheltered the area, and some small branches have fell upon the platform.

(Y/n) rested her arms on top of the wooden railing and tapped her arms to distract herself from the chilling dawn air. Her eyes drifted to the hospital that was afar below, and it shone bright along with other lit buildings because of the dark blue sky. She thought of how lucky they were to be treated. It was unfortunate they have to sneak an escape.

Despite her arms still resting on the rail, she curled her fingers into fists and bit her bottom lip. She furrowed her brows and cursed herself out in her head. If I haven't made the wish that day, she thought, none of this would had happened. Do I regret telling Sean the truth? she thought more. Was it that that've triggered the whole thing afterwards?

She unintentionally looked her at shoulder, her head wanting to look back at Sean but it didn't. Hearing the trees swayed, she grimaced at her heartbreaking mistakes. She tried to hold her jaw from trembling, but that only made her breath quiver.

Sean's footsteps approached on the platform. He rested his arms on the rail, and (Y/n), still looking at the scenery below, hugged her arms with a pained expression.

"Hey," he said quietly. He turned his head to look at her, and lowered his eyelid. "How is your ... um ... head?"

Her gaze remained forward. "It's better now..."

Standing near to each other, the two took a moment of silence to adore the view under them. Despite that it was late night before dawn, the quietness was peaceful.

"I'm sorry," Sean said. "I should've believed you."

(Y/n)'s heart ached. "It's not your fault." She swallowed hard and clenched on to her hospital gown with one hand. "None of it is your fault... It's mine," she whispered.

"(Y/n)—

"No." Her voice was almost faltered.

She took a deep breath before looking at him. Her foot stepped forward, and she reached out her hand toward his face. She caressed the side of his left cheek, where he have lost his eye, but she was careful not to harm him.

She have caressed his face so many times, but this time it was different: a sorrowful gesture.

"Your eye," she said gently, "how does it feel?"

He tittered. "Want me to lie?"

She bit the corner of her bottom lip nervously. "So it does hurt."

He gave her a sad smile. "I can't do anything about it now; it's gone forever." He realized that his statement had deepened (Y/n)'s frown, so he quickly made it up. "That's okay, I guess. Drawing myself with one eye would be ... super cool." He let out a deep, quiet chuckle.

(Y/n)'s expression did not change; it remained glum.

He awkwardly fidgeted with his body. "So," He sighed deeply. "Daniel is gone now."

(Y/n) gently nodded. "You don't seem too worry..."

"Trust me, I'm worry sick... But after all of this, I realized that blaming someone else and jumping to conclusions leads to more ... problems." He cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, that was a really bad way to apologize. I'll do it again."