Runaway

Mary at the age of eleven sits on her bed. She listens as her father screams, her mother screams and brother screams. They are fighting, but this is nothing new to Mary. Her father and mother always fought. Throughout the years though the fighting only got worse. Adam, Mary's father took it out on her brother John who was twenty two. He just finished college and was living at home just till he got on his feet. Adam hated this and most of the time this is what the fighting was about. Emily, Mary's mother tried her hardest, but she couldn't do anything. She would stay alway from home as long as possible, she would work late and then go to the gym or shopping just to get away from home and Adam. She was becoming more and more neglectent of Mary. John tried to help Mary, but also avoided home except for sleep. He has only been home for a month. He didn't know how bad things had gotten. Basically Mary was on her own and tried to avoid her father, who would usually just yell at her.

The agruement continued. This was a pretty bad one. The only words and last words said where

"Fine I will leave" said John.

"Don't you ever come back here!" yelled Adam.

She heard John come up the stairs, he went to his room. All his stuff was basically packed. He grabbed all he could carry and ran down the stairs he came back, but before grabbing more. He walked into Mary's room kissed her forehead and said "I'm sorry." Then slipped a piece of paper in her hand then left.

That was the last she ever saw of her brother. Just like her sister Eden. Eden was twenty five, she left the day she turned eighteen and has never came home since. Eden only sends Mary a letter twice a year, never calls or visits. Mary though understands, she can't wait to leave either.

A year since her brother left, and things have only gotten a million times worse at home. Mary doens't know what to do. There is never any food and her parents never are home, and when they are its arguing.

All Mary wants to do is runaway, but she doesn't know where she could runaway to.

John made is own life. He got a large apartment with his friends Danny, Justin and Charlie. He never talked about his family and they never asked, not after the first time where John said he has a mother and father he doesn't like and thats it. John didn't want to say anything about Mary or Eden, that would only raise questions, that John really couldn't answer. It also hurt John to know that he can't ever see Mary. John to his friends was big, bad, fun, and careless when it came to everything except work. They had no idea about Mary or Eden. They didn't know deep down inside John was actually hurting.