Chapter 8: The Truth

While Mary was still playing video game with Justin and Charlie who walked in, John went to call Eden. He had her number from a long time ago, but wasn't sure if it would work.

He dialed the number it rang and rang and soon it went to a messenging system.

"I'm not sure if this is still your number Eden, but its John.....I just need to talk to you, please call me Eden" John then hung up the phone.

On the other end. Eden missed the call, but listened to the message. She stop what she was doing and was in shock. Her friends where wondering who it was.

"Eden, who's John?" asked Eden's friend curiously.

"Hes....Hes my brother" said Eden.

He sat down on the steps outside his apartment. He prayed that he could get a hold of Eden. Jenny then came out and sat down next to him.

"You ok after last night?" shed asked.

"I mean no not really, what about you?" asked John.

"Oh I'm fine, I just want to help any way I can" said Jenny.

"Thanks" said John.

"Justin told me you went to talk with lawyer today" said Jenny,  "What did he say?'

"He said that I would have no trouble getting custody, but CPS will have to get involved, because they will be for taking Mary away from my dad. Also he said the fact that I never said anything and I knew this was going on might bring trouble. Even though I never knew how bad it got and that I had no choice to leave" said John.

"So whats going to happen?" asked Jenny.

"Im going to take my father to court. CPS is going to of course question me, Mary, and my father" said John.

"Well Im here for you" said Jenny, "Anything you need."

"I just don't know if I can do this, I have no idea how to take care of a kid" said John,"But I have no choice I have to save her."

"Listen, Im not going to lie, its going to be really hard, but you are going to be able to do it. As far as I can see your a great big brother. And all that Mary needs is someone to trust and love her" said Jenny.

"Well I already failed at the that once" said John.

'Well you can't fail again, Mary needs you" said Jenny as she got up and went back to her apartment.

He sat there in thought for a long while.

I know I need to do this for Mary. I need to show her that she can trust me, she can have a good life. That I do really love her and have always loved. I need to give her a real life. I need to give a part of her childhood back. I need to give back her innocence. I am going to do whatever it takes to do that. I will fight forever if I have to. I will give up anything to save her. I need to be the great big brother I never truly was. I need to protect her now that I failed to do before. I need to take care of her like a big brother should. I can't run away this time. I can't leave her. Not this time and not ever again.

 Mary soon came out and sat down next to him.

"Mary I need to talk to you. I need you to try and understand this" said John.

Mary nodded.

"Listen you know what a court is?" asked John.

"Ya its where there is a judge and a group people that decide if a bad guy goes to jail or not" replied Mary.

"Ya basically, but it can also be a place where someone is told whether or not they can take care of a child" said John. "What I have to do to keep you with me is go to court. I will have to convince the judge and the group of people that I should take care of you and you live me, not dad. Do you understand?"

"Ya I think so. You have to go to court to keep me away from dad" said Mary.

"Ya" said John.

"Will the court let you?" asked Mary.

"Yes I do, there is a good chance. But there is also this other group of people. They are in charge of making sure all children are safe. They will not be happy with happened to you with dad. But they also aren't going to be happy that I never told anyone about mom and dad" said John.

"Why?" asked Mary.

"Thats complicated Mary. Its hard to explain to you in a way you understand" replied John, "These people are really nice though. They are going to probably come and talk you about me, mom and dad and everything else.'

"What do I tell them?" asked Mary.

"The truth, you answer every question as best you can" said John.

"When will they come?" asked Mary.

"I don't know" said John, "But listen to me I don't want you to worry to much, Its going to be okay."

He pulled her in to him and kissed her forehead. She smiled up at him