Chapter 14: The Hearing

The next day was the hearing. John was so scared and nervous, so was Eden. Mary hadn't said a word all morning. They were in the car on the way. John looked at Mary through the mirror.

"Its going to be okay" said John, "No is going to take you."

Mary didn't respond. They soon arrived and got out of the car. At the door, Mary didn't move, she just stood there staring. Before John could make a move, she took off running. John followed and stopped at the bottom of the steps.

"MARY!" he yelled. She didn't stop.

"Shit" he said, he hugged Eden.

Just then John's lawyer came.

"Whats going on?" he asked.

"Mary just ran off" said John, he and Eden were now sitting on the steps.

"What? Where did she go?" asked the lawyer.

"No idea, Dam it I should have followed her" said John.

"The hearing starts in ten minutes, and she needs to be here" said the lawyer.

"Ya I know" said John he got up, "Stop is as long as you can"

"John!" yelled Eden as John took off down the street. He looked everywhere, down the most crownded streets mostly, he knew she wouldn't go anywhere that wasn't crowded. After ten minutes, he found her at a bench, just sitting. A cop was with her now.

"Mary!" he yelled as he ran to her.

"Is this your brother?" asked the officer.

"Yes" said Mary.

"Thank you" said John.

"Your welcome" said the officer, "remember Mary no more running away"

Mary nodded. John bent down in front of her.

"I'm sorry John, I just scared" said Mary.

"I know you are, and I'm sorry, but you don't have to be, no one is going to take you away from me. I will never let it happen" said John, "I know you see everyone else runaway, and you think its the only option, but its not. I should have never done it."

Mary went to hug him, he picked her up and carried her the whole way to the court. Just as the judge was getting angry, John walked in carrying Mary. Everyone turned and looked.

"Thank you joining us Mr. Waterson" said the Judge.

John said nothing and took his seat. The lawyer wispered to him.

"I didn't say you went after Mary, only mention it if it is brought up" said the lawyer. John turned to see his father, but his mother never showed.

There was a lot of talk and evidence presented. John knew there was no way his parents were going to win custody of Mary, but he didn't know if he would. Eventually the subject of where John was, was brought up. John made his statement.

"I went after Mary" said John.

"Why?" questioned the defense lawyer.

"She ran off, she was upset and scared" said John, "If you went through what she did, you would to. Everyone when she knows have run away from their problems. I have discovered that, that doesn't work and want to teach her that to. I want her to have a better life than I have. I want change all this, all the stuff I messed up, all the things he messes (he pointed at his father). I want her to feel safe, and no longer scared. I want to be the brother I should have always been."

The room fell silent. John's lawyer gave him a nod of approval. After awhile the judge gave a verdict.

"Adam and Emily Waterson, will no longer have custody of Mary Waterson. Adam Waterson you are sentenced to 3 to 5 years in prison, for domestic abuse, child abuse, assault,  and child endangerment. I grant full custody to John Waterson the elder brother of Mary Waterson. This court is dismissed" finished the judge.

John sat down and hung his head, ready to cry. He was so happy, but he stood up then and watched as his father was put in hang cuffs and taken away. He turned to see Eden. They hugged.

"Where's Mary?" asked John. 

"Outside" said Eden.

 John ran outside. He ran to and hugged her and he cried.

"Am I staying?" asked Mary.

"Yes forever" said John.