Chapter 9: Eden

Two days later and CPS still never came. John talked to his lawyer. He told him that it was only a matter of time. CPS would be contacting Adam and making case about him. Also that a court hearing would soon be made.

John was doing the best he could with Mary.

On monday though John had completely forgotten about Mary going to school. Monday morning John was sound asleep. Mary came into his room tapping him slightly.

"John....John....John..." said Mary.

John opened his eyes a little "What?"

"Um... I have school in an hour" said Mary with a questionable look.

John jumped out of bed.

"God I forgot, go get dressed" said John as he moved her along. He ran into the kitchen was making her breakfest and making her a lunch at the same time.

Charlie came half asleep.

"Whats going on?" asked Charlie.

"I forgot about school" said John.

"Ha good job" said Charlie smiling.

"Shut up" said John joking.

"Mary hurry up!" said John.

Mary came out five minutes later.

"Here eat on the way" said John grabbing her lunch and handing her a bagel.

"John?" said Mary.

"What?" asked John.

"Shirt" replied Mary.

John looked down and saw her had no shirt on.

"Right" he said and ran to get a shirt on. He then took Mary to school.

Later that day he was sitting in the kitchen doing some school work. The buzzer rang. He went to the voice pad and held down the button.

"Who is it?" asked John.

"Well I'm looking for a John Waterson" said the voice.

"This is he" said John.

No reply.

"Hello?" asked John.

"Ya, um John its Eden" said the voice.

John was silent. Then hit the buzzer to let her in.

He sat on the couch just waiting. He hadn't seen his sister in many years. There was a knock on the door. He got up and went to open it. Sure enough it was Eden.

John just stood there quietly so did Eden.

"I just want to talk" said Eden.

"Ya sure" said John still in shock.

They went in sat in the living.

"John look Im sorry I left years ago" said Eden, "I should have never cut you or Mary off from my life, but I just wanted out."

"No I get it I left to" said John.

"You did?" asked Eden.

"Ya I left for college and then went back for only a month before leaving around a year ago" said John.

"What about Mary?" asked Eden.

"Thats actually what I neede to talk to you about" said John.

Eden was silent.

"Things were pretty bad when I went back for that month. After I left though I never talked to Mary. I didn't know how bad things got. That was until Mary showed up on my door step. I came home one day and she was asleep outside my door. She said that mom and dad got in the worse fight she had ever seen. She said that dad grabbed her and when she couldn't answer fast enough. He smashed plates on her arms. Mom then tried to stop him, but he ended up hurting her. Mary ran, but he threw a plate at her and it shattered on her back. Mom ending up leaving, like packing up and leaving. She has never done that before. Then Mary ran away. Dad showed up her a few days ago, we got in a fight, over him trying to take Mary. Now Im taking him to court for custody of Mary. CPS is now involved. Things have gone to Hell" said John.

Eden sat in silence.

"I don't even know why Im telling you this, you don't care" said John.

"John yes I do. I have always cared. I just never did anything about it. I want to help. I want to change things. I want to give Mary I life I never had" said Eden.

"So do I" said John, "You want to help?"

"Yes I do" said Mary "Please forgive me John. I just want to start over and make things work and be better. Im sorry>"

John looked at her and then hugged.

"Im sorry to" said John.

Just then the buzzer rang and Mary's voice came on it.

"John! you forgot me at school" said Mary.

"Dam it" said John as he ran over to box.

"Mary Im so sorry!" said John.

"Oh don't worry about it" said Mary, "I just wanted to hear your reaction."

Mary laughed a little.

John laughed "Oh Mary, I will let you in"

"What do you think she is going to say?" asked Eden.

John for a second there forgot about Eden. He didn't know what Mary's reaction was going to be.

"I don't" said John waiting by the door as Eden sat on the chair.

Mary opened the door. The second she saw Eden. She paused, but then turned around and ran out the door.

She bolted down the stairs. John ran after her.

"Mary!" he yelled as he chased her down the stairs. Jenny was coming up the stairs when all this was happening. Mary ran into her and John barely avoided her.

"John!" said Jenny.

John didn't reply. She ran upstairs to see if the others knew what was going on.

John ran after her. She ran out the door and down the street. John missed what way she went.

Mary though bumped into Danny who was coming home from school.

"Mary?" asked Danny.

Mary tried to get away from him, but Danny grabbed her.

"Mary?" he questioned, 'Whats the matter?"

All she said with tears in her eyes was "Eden."

Danny stopped shocked, but then picked her up so she couldn't runaway and carried her home.