Part 39

A few hours passed before Zenia came into sight. Unlike when Gene had first seen the islands, no smoke dotted the air, no scent of flames reached her nose. Everything looked so peaceful, the tops of trees dotted with fresh white snow, just a dusting of fluffy white. Down below, animals pranced merrily between the trees, and birds that stayed through the winter began to settle down for their hibernation. Rivers still babbled and the wind still breezed through the trees.

 In her mind, it was so shocking to believe that only a few days ago, the air had been clogged with gray and smelled of death. Only a few days ago had she come back to the worst surprise of her life. And now? She was stronger from it.

 The first stop they made was to the Shadowstalker Coven, Asmodeus practically bodyslamming Riskel as Jewelle followed shortly after, covered in head to toe. "Is everything alright?" Asmodeus asked, as Riskel toppled over.

 "Yeah..... I think so." Riskel responded, lost in thought for a moment. "At least, I hope so. Now. Something's been bothering me this entire ride back here."

 He looked to Kaiju and Genevieve, disbelief on his face.

 "YOU TWO ARE ENGAGED!?"

 "And you just found out?" Kaiju sassed at the vampire, having wanted to do that for a solid four hours now.

 "WHEN DID THAT EVEN HAPPEN!?" Riskel continued, eyes wide and arms down at his side dramatically. "Like....... I know it's none of my business but daaaaaaaaaaamn you two move FAST."

 "It came instinctive," Kaiju told him, "And just to clarify, Gene has EVERY right to decline." He turned to her. "How she wants this relationship to work is all up to her. I'm at her beck and call."

 "So you're not engaged YET." Riskel emphasized, trying to make sense of what had happened. "But you might be eventually."

 Gene rolled her eyes and shook her head. "Why do you care, Riskel?" She asked, leaning against Kaiju.

 "Because I know you and I know how you are and if he hasn't seen you threaten to beat a man with a stick, he hasn't seen all of you."

 "I told you to quit trying to interrupt me while I was teaching the children. Did you listen? Noooo so I made due with what I had. Better be happy I didn't turn you into an ant."

 Kaiju snorted and told Riskel, "Best be glad, son."

 He watched the coven, then the surrounding terrain. He grimaced.

 "Ah, this time of year I hate the most."

 Riskel stuck his tongue out at Genevieve, before turning to speak to his fiance, Jewelle hanging like a monkey off of his back.

 Gene looked at Kaiju curiously, tilting her head. But she didn't ask. Instead, she wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head against the side of his torso.

 "Harvest season is over," Kaiju stated, "But there are still some greens in a garden trove to the side of the house where I keep lettuce and other greens. They grow in the winter but my business is going to have to be at the capital for the next three months."

 He looked at her. "Business that I feel needs a woman's touch."

 "And that touch is going to perhaps be mine?" She asked curiously, nestled under his arm. "And let me guess, nobody to watch the farm?"

 She looked up at him, a smile touching her lips. "I could read it on your face, your very readable face."

 Kaiju smiled. "And that is exactly one of the many reasons why I would be very pleased to be married to you."