Part 43

In the weeks that followed the meeting, so few weeks, Genevieve watched the castle transform before her eyes. Wreaths were hung from the pillars with care, especially since there was the hope that old Saint Nick would soon be there.

 Reds, greens, silvers, and golds decorated each and every hall, ornaments dancing across evergreen trimmings, hanging from chandeliers, even worn on some of the dragons! Stars twinkled along the ceilings, decorated doors, walls, especially clothing.

 Everyone seemed to be in jolly spirits, getting out their holiday favorites, exchanging gifts, seasons greetings, and recipes with one another. The children danced merrily, whether inside where it was warm, or outside in the snow, happy for the upcoming Yuletide celebrations.

 And none more excited than Genevieve, Kaiju, and Ione. Surprisingly, Genevieve had been consulted as well as Kaiju, in reference to decorations, and even the massive tree that sat inside the ballroom. She took great care with each placement of each holiday object, making sure that it wasn't obstructed by anything else, and that it wouldn't be obstructed by anything else. In that regard, little Ione was especially helpful, able to see the ornaments, wreaths, magelights, and other decorations from another angle than Gene could. Everything was perfect for the upcoming festivities, as perfect as could be.

 Or... So Gene thought.

 However, on the morning of Yuletide, before the sun could peek it's golden fingers over the horizon, she was gripped with sudden nausea, one that drove her carefully from Kaiju's arms and into the bathroom.

 Kaiju bolted from his bed the moment his beloved ran to the royal latrines. He hurried to his feet and ran over to her. He combed her hair back from her face. He asked, "Love?"

 She couldn't answer, her skin feverishly warm as she lost everything in her stomach, bile building up in her throat. Gene's body trembled after each heave, sweat beginning to fleck on her skin.

 Kaiju rubbed her back. He waited. Waited for her morning sickness to pass, waited for her to have a moment to breathe. He knew what was going on...

 To Genevieve, the moments felt like hours, until she was finally, finally able to breathe again. She trembled, pulling her legs to her chest slowly, as to not dissolve into another vomiting fit. "That......" Her words were dry in her mouth, she licked her lips carefully to try again. "That wasn't how I was expecting to start Yule...."

 Kaiju thrummed and pulled her to his chest. He kissed her head.

 "Take it easy," he purred. "I'll ask a servant to make a small cup of tea."

 She nodded her head carefully, resting her head over his heart. "And I can honestly say.... That was a first....." Gene whined, using the back of her hand to wipe her forehead of sweat, her skin still warm. Though, it was cooling slowly from sitting on the tiled floor.

Kaiju ran a hand through her hair. He told her, "Your first and my second."

He kissed her head. "Mint? Or ginger tea? What sounds better for you?"

 "Mmmm........" Truthfully, to her, nothing. But she knew she had to put SOMETHING in her stomach. "..... Ginger..... Because it doesn't pack quite as much of a punch."

 Her mind rang with what he said, about this being HER first time, but HIS second.

 Which made her curious, though not to verbalize it... Instead, she let her eyes adjust to see the lights. Those beautiful lights of every living creature, the strong tendrils inside of Kaiju, inside of herself...

 And there was the odd one. One not yet connected to the rest of the world, one not yet old enough to BE connected to the rest of the world, sitting in a circle where her womb would be, a light green thread edged in silver.