C O R O N A T I O N

THE WALK TO ERIENNE'S CHAMBERS TOOK FOREVER

Or, at least it felt like it.

She didn't want to appear too excited, or nervous, so she strode the way she usually did through the halls. Erienne never noticed how deliberately slow a Royal's stride was before the walk between the library and her rooms seemed like a journey. When her hand finally touched the knob, her heart felt like it was beating out of her chest.

When she entered her chambers, her maid looked surprised to see her.

"Your Grand Highness." She curtsied respectfully. Erienne didn't miss the furrow in her brow. She was clearly confused. Erienne made sure to fully close the oak door, and for extra measure, locked it. Erienne then turned, and made sure she was looking her maid dead in the eye.

"Do you want to be free?" Erienne asked. Empty seconds elapsed. "Do you want to be free?" Erienne repeated. She watched the maid redden.

"To even come close to discussing such a thing is treasonous—"

"I don't care—"

"And, frankly, it's cruel. I can never have freedom, Your Grand Highness. Ever." Erienne stared at her for a second longer.

"I have the power to free you."

"The only person who has the power to free people from bondage is the monarch."

"I will be coronated as queen regnant, not consort, tomorrow." Her servant blinked at her. Then she laughed.

"That's impossible," she exclaimed it is.

"It's not." Erienne included a cold edge in her voice this time. The maid paid no mind.

"It doesn't take a genius to guess that this is a move they don't want to take, something you definitely must've forced them into. I could tell them what we're discussing right now and they would put you away for treason." The maid paused and peered at Erienne with a delighted smile. "I could even say you spoke of overthrowing the heir as well. Despite my status, they'd be more inclined to believe me rather than you."

"You could. That would give them ample opportunity to imprison me, possibly execute me. And after that, you think they'd what, free you? Your Weiss is good, but I can still tell you're not native. You're from Spvet, conquered expanded territory. The monarch would never free you. Slaves aren't even worthy of residence in the Royal Palace. It was a stroke of luck that you were assigned to me, having to do nothing but prepare my baths and fold my linens. When I'm gone they'll return you to the slums you came from, having to work long, unbearable hours, in filthy conditions." The maid only looked at her, at loss for words. Erienne had come to despise her Weiss lessons when she reached her teen years. There was so much to cover, she came to know more about Weiss than her own country.

But, now, armed with the knowledge that made her capable of securing her place as monarch (despite the disadvantages) and putting her servant in her place, well, it felt intoxicating.