J E W E L S I

"I THINK THAT WE SHOULD DECIDE WHO SLEEPS WHERE BY RANK

"I THINK THAT WE SHOULD DECIDE WHO SLEEPS WHERE BY RANK."

Those were the words of one girl as soon as Master Reeke left. She was gesturing to the sofas and divans while looking, with disgust, at the sleeping mats. Two other girls tried to counter while others began to say their proper titles. Azriel was having none of that. She found a secluded corner and quietly changed into the silk nightdress and fresh underwear the eunuchs had provided. She drew a sleeping mat into her corner and tucked a blanket over herself. Though she saw the visible distaste Hora gave the sleeping mats, her companion did the same.

"Now is a perfect time to plan for tomorrow, don't you think?" Hora didn't even bother to whisper. The girls had resorted to a full fledged verbal fight.

"Please, Azriel said feebly, I really would like  to rest." Hora rolled her eyes.

"I do not require much from you. The plan is simple. Our bath is the only time when we are let alone without supervision. While we are bathing, I'll leave, complaining about diarrhea. From there, I will do what I have to. I should return before the hour is over, but if I'm late, you have to make sure they don't go looking for me. Stall, if need be."

"How?"

Hora shrugged nonchalantly. "You've gotten yourself this far. I'm sure you can figure it out." Azriel chewed on her lip, her anxiety already starting to mount.

"Hora-"

"I wasn't much asking for your consent. The luck it took for a mutt like you to make it here is incredible. Don't lose your hand before you even have a chance to play the game."

***

Azriel was shivering all over as they were being walked to the bathing pool. She wished her anxiety wasn't as clear, and Hora had made sure she hissed this opinion in her ear. But the eunuchs didn't notice, they were busy chattering amongst themselves. And the other girls were doing the same. As soon as they had settled in the heavenly water, Hora turned to Azriel. "Remember, you cannot leave without me." Without giving her a chance to respond, Hora put a hand at her stomach and exited the pool as if she was in excruciating pain. She was graceful about the whole thing, of course, but it didn't prevent the eyes of onlookers. Azriel knew that was exactly what Hora wanted.

She needed people to believe she was suffering from a bout of diarrhea. Or something like that. Azriel shut her eyes as she heard Hora's retreating footsteps.

"Would you like salts massage my lady?" came a voice. Azriel turned to face the eyes of a servant girl, holding a wooden bowl in one hand.

"No thank you," Azriel replied quietly. Something twinkled in the girl's eye. The servant took a handful of pink salts and began to gently message it into Erienne's chest.

"What village are you from?" the girl whispered. Azriel felt her cheeks become very hot.

"I don't know what you mean."