T O W E I S S

WHEN AZRIEL AWOKE, SHE'D ALMOST FORGOTTEN WHERE SHE WAS

Soft kisses on her back drew her into reality. A feathery feeling coursed through her. Azriel turned around to face her husband.

"Good morning," she whispered.

"Good morning." He still had a finger on her back, tracing her skin in intoxicating circles. Azriel fought to keep her breathing even.

"How did you sleep, Your Majesty?" Markus drew his lips close to her ear.

"It was the moments I didn't sleep that I cherish," he whispered. Involuntarily, Azriel shivered. He withdrew.

"How did my queen sleep?" He was facing her now, his deep green eyes bearing into hers.

"Like a baby."

They both started up when the door opened. It was Janileese. She was carrying a silver tray bearing different-shaped bottles of glass. Despite the items, she dipped into a graceful curtsy. "Your Majesties."

"Janileese." Markus' voice was curt. "You may come back in twenty minutes time. I'd like some moments alone with my wife."

Janileese curtsied again. "Of course." She soundlessly left the room. Markus turned back to Azriel.

"I understand that, as a commoner, you don't quite know what your responsibilities are. What you're supposed to be doing as queen."

Azriel swallowed. "You're correct."

"You're job, in the broadest terms, is to help me in the affairs of state. I know the commoner's version of royal life. Of a queen's life. Their job is to eat well, and dress well, be bedded and produce good heirs all the while enjoying yourself. You are afforded the greater luxuries, yes. But your job is to stand beside me and conduct affairs of state. Political matters and all." Azriel almost laughed at this.

"How? They see me as the uneducated commoner. They will never take me seriously."

"They have to. You will be given a period of transition before you're fitted into your role, don't worry. You cannot and I will not let you jump into anything serious yet. You'll need to be prepared first." Azriel's mind flashed over Janileese's promises of giving her help to navigate royal court. She thought of her common background.

"Don't forget us," her neighbors had shouted. And she wouldn't. Azriel straightened.

"I assume, she said slowly, that you'd like me to make alliances. That is the only way I can pave my way into truly taking over my rightful role as queen."

"I would like you to establish ties with my sisters. They mean everything to me Azriel. In the long run of things, I'm not sure our relationship will be successful without them. That is not the only reason, of course. Being close with direct royal heirs gives you power and eliminates vulnerability."