S E L E C T I O N

Disclaimer: This chapter contains a graphic violent scene

Disclaimer: This chapter contains a graphic violent scene. If this disturbs you, please disregard the section separated by a dashed line (i.e:———)

PRINCE REYES LICKED HIS LIPS IN SATISFACTION.

It'd been a long time since he allowed himself the permission to participate in carnal pleasures. But his partner hadn't disappointed. That little minx, he thought devilishly. He strolled the halls absently, smiling in his daze. She really had nerve, showing up at his chambers unannounced. He'd despised her brazenness at first, but had come to enjoy it within minutes. She wouldn't allow herself to be cast aside easily. "I am Hora, she'd whispered, Duchess of Berry, don't let yourself forget it."

He didn't plan on forgetting anything. He strolled absently through the halls, smiling in his daze. He almost didn't catch the girl walking behind a eunuch with a smile born of a haze similar to his own. It must've been one of the girls participating in the Selection, he thought. Really, the uniforms they made them wear couldn't be more ugly. He happened to see the light catch something that glittered. Reyes' eyes drifted to the girl's hand, which, were adorned with two rings. One ruby and one emerald. The rings were much too big for her fingers and Reyes knew exactly who they belonged too. He stopped in his tracks, his grin widening.

The king had already claimed his favored girl, giving someone his rings was a sign of intimacy. Though the coquettish Hora hadn't revealed where on Earth she had come from, there was only one way to explain her origin. The Selection. None of the concubines would dare venture out of the harem. It would and could mean their deaths. If his dear brother had picked his favorite, he surely wouldn't mind him picking one Selection candidate for himself.

"Eunuch!" he called out. The eunuch paused and turned around. His countenance spoke of his indifference. He must be the Master of all those "men." None of them would dare look at a royal like that. He took steps to meet Prince Reyes, and the girl slowly followed. She gave a little curtsy, eyes sweeping over him curiously.

"Your Royal Highness," the eunuch said with a bow.

"You have a Hora, Duchess of Berry in your custody, correct?" He didn't miss the way the girl was looked at him now. A stare of pure incredulity. The eunuch held back his surprise better. Or, perhaps, he wasn't surprised at all.

"Yes, Your Royal Highness."

"I would like to see her. Every morning and every time I request her, I would like her brought to me. Are we understood?"

"Yes, Your Royal Highness. But if your request conflicts with her appointment with the king, as she is a candidate for the Selection—"

"The king has practically already chosen his wife. Look at his rings on her hand," Reyes gestured. Reyes could see the girl was looking down, her complexion darkening. He was sure she was only hiding lips that were drawn in a smile. She was elated. He turned curiously toward her. "What is your name?" She lifted her face to meet his.