W E D

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'LL WEAR?" JARYS ASKED

Spread before them were drawings of beautiful dresses, depicting styles of every type. Azriel regraded each with a smile.

"This one, I think." Azriel pointed to a sheet of paper in the middle of the table. A slender woman was illustrated wearing a billowing skirt of gold silk. The bodice looked sheer and weightless, with small crystals sown throughout the neck. Azriel flipped the page. On the back a large tiara was drawn. It was even more golden than the dress, set with raindrop shaped diamonds. Underneath were smaller diamonds and crystals.

Other accessories were drawn next to the tiara. A heavy golden necklace was pictured as well as large raindrops shaped earrings.

"It's beautiful," Jarys breathed. Their mother's eyes watered.

"Your father would be so proud to see you made it this far," she whispered. Azriel placed a hand on top of her mother's. She blinked back the tears swelling behind her own eyes.

"I can't imagine he'd want you crying," Azriel said.

"It's tears of joy I spill my daughter, not sorrow." Their mother wiped at her eyes. "Just ignore me." Azriel only withdrew her hand after several moments to face her sister.

"Where is your husband?" she asked.

"He wasn't allowed to come, strictly speaking. But he's alright. He's already occupying the home the king has provided for us. It's a gorgeous thing not too far from the palace," Jarys gushed. "The king has been very kind."

"I'm glad you like him," Azriel said.

"Do you like him?" Mama asked purposefully, eyes on her youngest daughter.

Azriel turned her gaze to her mother. "What do you mean?"

"Do you like your betrothed? I think you know exactly what that means." 

"He has been kind. And I appreciate how he makes sure you all are taken care of."

"But?" Jarys pushed. Azriel felt hot anger swell within her.

"I think he intends to keep his harem," she said lowly. They were silent. "I...I insisted that he discard use of his harem if he wanted to marry me. He only promised his loyalty to me, but said nothing about never indulging in other women. He told me if I didn't proceed with our marriage he would understand, but only I would be at loss. My family and I would return to the horrible conditions we lived in after tasting a better life that practically came at no cost at all. Except my pride."

"He wasn't...wrong," Jarys commented quietly. Azriel cut her eyes at her sister. "Azriel, men love to explore the delights women offer. I'm not saying that it's right or pleasant, but it's the truth. You're going to be queen, sister, queen. Despite our status. Despite our blood. Isn't it worth this sacrifice?" Jarys continued.