Four

When planning his sessions with wayward pets, he always set a goal. He usually had a rough idea of how to achieve that goal, but the means were always flexible, it was the goal that mattered. Today's session with Jeongguk was no different.

A clean room. That was today's aim. It didn't really matter how it got there, it only mattered that it got clean, and Jeongguk was the one to do it.

Unfortunately Jeongguk did not seem to be nearly as goal oriented as Taehyung. In fact, the young hybrid was sitting on the sofa patently ignoring Taehyung altogether. The most he'd gotten out of the boy was a grunt of acknowledgement when he'd called his name for the third time in as many minutes.

"Look, Jeongguk, I understand you want to play, but you have to finish your chores first." Taehyung reasoned. "So let's just get stuck into it and when we're done you can return to your game. Ok?"

"Let's not and say we did." Jeongguk sassed back, making Tae's lips tighten in disapproval.

"I'm trying to be reasonable here, Jeongguk. If you work with me things will go smoothly and we'll both get what we want. If you don't..." He paused, inviting the boy to challenge him.

Jeongguk finally turned his attention toward him, his lips twisted into a sneer. "If I don't, what? Huh? What're you going to do?"

Taehyung didn't rise to the taunt, keeping his voice soft and even. "I'll leave." He said simply and Jeongguk's lips twisted into a smirk. "But I'll be taking that console with me." He added, almost enjoying the way the boy's expression went slack with shock.

"You can't do that!" He objected. "That's stealing! Mama Kim won't let you."

"Oh, but I can. Mrs Kim said, and I quote, by any and all means necessary." Tae smiled serenely, completely confident in his authority on the matter.  "Need I remind you our next appointment isn't for three days? Make a decision, Jeongguk. Now. Help me clean your room, or I go home ...with your console."

"That's not fair!" He yelled indignantly, his charcoal ears flicking in irritation.

"Life's not fair." Taehyung shot back before holding up his hand, fingers splayed. The other he held out for the controller. "Five." He tucked his thumb into his palm. "Four." He tucked down his pinky and secured it beneath his thumb. "Three." His ring finger. "T-"

"Alright!" Jeongguk shoved the controller roughly into his waiting hand. "I'll clean the stupid room. Stop counting at me like a baby."

Taehyung gave him the same sweet, serene smile. "Thank you, Jeongguk. Would you mind leading the way?"

For once the boy didn't argue. He did however mutter under his breath the entire time it took to reach his truly filthy room. Taehyung stood frozen for a moment, taking it all in.

"Jeongguk!" He censured with a gasp.

"What?" The boy grouched back defensively.

"How can you sleep in here? Doesn't the smell bother you?" His nose wrinkled in disgust as he asked, genuinely concerned.

"Maybe. Some." Jeongguk mumbled.

"Oh bun, I knew you were sad but this is ...wow." Taehyung murmured, not without sympathy.

Jeongguk's fists clenched and stomped his foot, making a dull thud against the carpeted floor. "Shut up! You don't know me. And don't call me 'bun'!"

Taehyung eyed him speculatively before nodding. "Of course, Jeongguk. That was too familiar of me." He apologised solemnly. Bunny was tetchy it seemed. He wondered what was going on to make him so sensitive. Oh well., they'd deal with the 'why' later. Right now they needed to fix the 'what'.