Thirty

Taehyung dropped Jeongguk off at his Friday morning dance class with a distracted kiss to his hair and a muttered, “Be good.”

The hybrid opened his mouth to argue, but Taehyung had already turned around, pulling his phone out of his pocket and reading the screen. His pretty features twisted into a suspicious scowl that remained on his face well after the effervescent Jimin had welcomed him into the mirrored dance studio.

Taehyung hadn’t meant to be rude, but he had arranged to have brunch with his sister at a cafe close to campus that morning. It would be the first time he’d seen her in person since the hospital, although they had texted and called a few times in the interim weeks. As a result, the familiar squeeze of anxiety was tightening his chest while the traitorous voice in his head was busy listing every way things could go wrong. That was to say, he was a bit of a mess.

He sat at the table he’d chosen in the designated cafe, his leg bouncing with nerves, his fingers drumming on the tabletop, his eyes fixed on the entrance to the busy little shop. He lifted the mug of coffee he’d ordered to his lips, burning the tip of his tongue a little on the scalding liquid. Hissing, he placed the ceramic down and tapped at the table once more.

After what seemed like eternity, but was in face less than ten minutes, he finally spotted his sister’s familiar visage walking through the doors, looking around searchingly for him. He raised his hand, waving it to get her attention and she nodded with a small, nervous smile. She pointed at the counter, indicating her intention to order before joining him and he nodded in understanding. He let his eyes wander around the place, trying not to discomfort Eonjin by staring at her. Never the less, his eyes kept landing on her before skipping away. Finally she stood at the side of his table, steaming mug in hand and gave him another smile. He smiled back tentatively.

She placed her mug carefully on the table and opened her arms.

“Oppa.” She said warmly by way of greeting and Taehyung stood, taking her into a tight hug.

“Jinnie.” He gave her one last squeeze, then let her go and she took her seat opposite him.

“Thanks for coming.” He said softly.

“Of course.” She smiled again, and he took a good look at her. It’d been three years since he’d seen her. He’d been too distraught at the hospital to really take in all the changes that had occurred in her. She was taller for one, and her body was filling out prettily, her hair was shorter and lighter, holding a distinctive red sheen it hadn’t before, perhaps she had dyed it. Her face was still a little chubby with baby fat and he felt relief that she hadn’t fully metamorphosed into a woman before he’d gotten to see her again.

“You look healthy.” He smiled.

“You look skinny.” She ran a critical eye over him and his lips quirked at the rebuke. “Have you been eating well? What about sleeping? I know you used to have trouble.”

“Same old Eomma Jin, I see.” He teased. “I’m fine, I promise.”

“You wouldn’t tell me anyway.” She accused.

“True.” He agreed mildly. “But really, I’m doing well. I have to stay healthy so I can look after Guk.”

“Ah, yes, your hybrid. How is he? I’m surprised you didn’t bring him. Ashamed of your sister, hmm?” She said sternly.

He wasn’t sure if she was serious or not, so he rushed to assure her. “Of course not! It’s just he gets jealous sometimes around new people and we haven’t seen each other since.. You know. Papa. I didn’t want to put any undue pressure on anyone. I’ve only had him for a little under two months and-”