Chapter 12

Olivia heard the microwave beep, and she immediately took out the steaming cup she had been waiting for. She only had about 30 minutes of paperwork left, and then she could go home to her son. It was 9:00 at night, and she was alone. She quickly walked to her office, and sat down at her desk She stirred the hot liquid with a spoon, and was about to take a careful sip. "What is that concoction?" She didn't jump, because she knew that voice. She would know it anywhere.
"It's instant tomato soup, she said smiling. Barba sat down in a chair across from her.
"Liv, put it down, please." She took a small sip. "What are you doing here at this hour counselor?"
"What do you think?"
"You want to grab a cab with me. I would love nothing more Raffa, I don't want to hold you up. I have at least 30 minutes of paperwork left," She put down the soup.
"I'll wait, and I promise you a real meal." Olivia softly laughed, she picked up her pen and began to write again. "If you insist counselor. What will I do with this soup?"
"You call that soup? It's not fit for human consumption." Barba heard her laugh again, and his heart soared. He loved when she laughed, and he loved it even more when he was the person who made her laugh. Whenever he made her laugh his heart and mind filled with pride. The first time he got a laugh out of her, she looked shocked. Since then making this woman laugh was one of his favorite things to do, and he did it often. The truth she made him laugh like no other could. Before Olivia Benson, his life was orderly, but cold and lonely. Before he met her he never admitted to himself that anything was missing. Now, he knew what was missing. Olivia Benson was the light in his life and the love of his life even if she didn't know it.
"Barba, Barba? The sound of her voice brought him out of his thoughts.""You ready to get out of here?" She was standing and Barba noticed that she had thrown away what she called Tomato soup.
"Let's go", he answered smiling. She smiled back.
"I'm helping with the cab fare this time."
"Don't worry about it Liv." They walked out of her office, and out of the station together.___________________________________________________________________________
Olivia walked beside Barba for several blocks. She was anything , but lazy, but after such a long day even Olivia was getting tired. She watched as Barba slowed down. She was ready to hail a cab. She put an arm up."Wait!" Barba said. Olivia put her arm down. She looked at her friend confused.
"Why, you want to walk me home Barba?"
He gave her a half-smile, "No, just follow me. We're almost there."
"I never just follow anyone."
"Make an exception Liv. For me?" He continued to walk, she rolled her eyes, but followed. He led her to a parking garage.
"Does someone need help?" Olivia asked as she walked. Her arms were slowly swaying at her side. Barba stopped at a red Bentley. He took out a key and opened the passenger door. "I want to drive you home."
"This is your car?" Olivia said, surprise in her voice.
Barba chuckled softly."Yes Liv. Get in." She gazed at him for a brief moment more. "Put your seatbelt on." He said when she was in the car. He closed her door, walked to the driver's side, got in, and prepared to drive. He looked Olivia's way, and for a spite second, she looked completely relaxed, a half smile on her face, and her eyes closed. He smiled.Olivia, opened her eyes feeling Barba staring at her. It's only my imagination she thought, it was such a long day, she felt her stomach rumble. She was thankful she would be eating soon. What food she would be eating she didn't know, she would leave that to him.
"Why did you get a car? When did you get a car?"
"I got tired of relaying on cabs, I realized I could afford it, and I have a parking space."
"Now that is luxury, a parking space in New York. You Mr. Rafael Barba have arrived!"
Barba laughed. "I know. "Now that's go eat.
"You need a sidebar Barba?"
"Always Liv."
"Me too."
"Good,I think you're going to love the meal I have planned."
"I have to get home to Noah."
"I know Liv. You don't think I planned for that. Don't worry." Barba answered starting the car and driving off.