Chapter 27

Olivia fought the urge to look away from her friend's intense green eyes. She sat down in her dinning chair, and these eyes followed her every move. "I know you're upset." She said slowly."You think?" Barba answered sarcastically. He rolled his eyes, and continued. "You went to the hospital, and didn't tell me. This injury happened undercover didn't it?""Yes", she answered softly. She put her hand on the mug in front of her, and found some comfort in it's warmth."You called me after that undercover job. You told me that you were fine, that you were home safe!""Because I was, I was home safe when I called you. I was fine. I didn't stay in the hospital. Fin and Lake were just overreacting, It was easier to go then to listen to them. It's no big deal Barba. I don't think it'll even scar." Barba quickly walked to her, and stood beside her chair. "Show me." He said still using a courtroom voice. Olivia stood up from the chair, and showed him a small nick on the back of her hand."See? it's no big deal." She sat back down."You should have told me." He answered."I'm sorry." Olivia said sincerely. "You did it again!" He said gazing deep into her brown eyes."Did what?" Olivia asked. She understood where he was going with this before the entire question was out of her mouth, and she felt terrible."You were trying to spare me again, You didn't want to worry me. I told you I'm here for you. I told you that when I found out Noah had been in the hospital. I don't care what you say Liv, when Noah was in the hospital, you were vulnerable, you needed someone, and I would have been there.""You're right, I was vulnerable." Olivia agreed. Barba could hear the shame in her voice. "You were there for me Barba.""When you let me." He said sadly. "I thought after we talked in your office you trusted me.""I do trust you. .Barba, when Noah was in the hospital it was a big deal. and I wanted to call you, I should've called you, but this is not the same. My hand is fine, I'm fine.""Tell me what happened." Barba asked using a courtroom voice again."I found more of Paul Gibson's victims. Grace Bishop says back in February she was hanging out with her cousin Amber in her dorm room, when Paul came to visit. She let him in the door because she knew him from a class. He pretended to need help with a homework assignment. He raped Grace, after he was done. he raped Amber. Grace told me that Amber got pregnant from her rape. She told me that Amber's boyfriend Kyle didn't want the baby, and that he wanted Amber to sell it. We had to do something Barba. Grace said she made a decision to stay with Amber a week after the baby was born. I had Grace contact Amber for me. She told Amber that she found a couple who wanted a baby desperately. I called Amber shortly after, I agreed to meet her at a park by her house When I got there, I saw her holding the baby. I told her that my husband and I would give her daughter a good home. She asked where my husband was, and I said he was at work. She asked for the money. I put it on the ground. She started to hand over the baby, and I reached for it, as I did that, I got nicked by a knife, I didn't see before." Everything was silent in the apartment for a moment.Barba broke the silence. "So this woman stabbed you.""I was nicked, I got Amber to the ground, and kept the baby safe.""Where was your backup?""Hiding in the trees waiting. Lake came out and arrested her after I got nicked, and got Amber to the ground. Undercover work is tricky sometimes Barba. I didn't want any men around her. She was raped and she's having a hard time emotionally. I thought maybe she would verbally tell me, she didn't want to sell her baby.""You were hoping she was going to say that her controlling boyfriend was trying to make her commit a crime, that she really wanted the baby, but she still needed the money to keep the boyfriend quiet.""Yes, I was hoping she would say that she wanted to put the baby up for legal adoption, because she wanted her to have a safe loving home. Amber nicked me because she thought she could grab the money for the boyfriend, and still keep the baby. I'm sorry Barba, I know you want a better witness", She began to speak very rapidly She didn't want Barba to have the chance to interrupt her. "Grace is very credible. She's sad, but sane. I gave her the names of some great counselors, and she's getting help. She started going to counseling right after her rape, but she said she wanted someone who specialized in helping rape survivors." Barba cared very much about getting justice for every victim, but right now he couldn't concentrate on who was a good witness, and who wasn't. His mind was stuck on the thoughts that his best friend had been hurt, and that someone tried to hurt her. "You said you didn't see the knife?""No, I didn't." Olivia answered. She felt like she was in a courtroom."You don't think you were distracted?" Barba continued."No, I wasn't. What's important is that I saved a baby, and you'll be able to win the case against Paul Gibson. He needs to be stopped." Olivia wished Barba would say something. He just looked at her, so she continued to speak. "I think Amber has Postpartum Depression.""Liv, I love the way you fight for victims, the way you help them heal. I even love how idealistic you are, but I wish you would think of yourself sometimes. I gotta go. He said. walking to the door.Olivia followed after him quickly. "Rafa, I know your anger at me... but""You bet I'm angry. He answered opening her front door. "Drink the tea. it'll help you sleep." He said before walking out..BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB Olivia's heart filled with hope when she heard her cell phone ring, but that hope was shattered when she looked at the number that flashed on the caller ID. It was Dr. Taylor. She hadn't seen him since she left his house, He was getting on her last nerve. She had dated more than her fair share of men who turned out to be creeps. The second she witnessed creepiness she was done with them, and they knew it..She never held any of their hands through a break-up speech. Dr. Taylor kept calling. She thought back to the moment she told him to let go of her wrists. She could have said more, but he let go, and Olivia Benson didn't have to explain anything to him. His reaction to her scars was like a slap in the face, but it made her see things more clearly. She picked up the phone on the fourth ring. "Stop calling me." She said in a voice she used for criminals in the box. She hung up quickly before he could say a word. She finished the tea Barba made her. She felt tears welling up in her eyes, not for Dr. Taylor, but for Barba. He didn't even look at her when he left her apartment, and she didn't blame him. She took a quick shower, put on a long NPYD night shirt, and sat on her bed. Her eyes were closing, when she heard her house phone ring. She picked it up on the first ring. "Benson.""I said I was angry, you need to know that doesn't mean I'm walking out of your life. I'm here for you Liv, always. I mean it. You hear me?" Barba asked. "Yeah." She answered taking a breath. Thanks for calling me"."I had to let you know I'm safe. It's in our contract." He answered."Get some sleep, you need it." You want me to come over tomorrow?""Would you?""Yes, we both need a sidebar.""Tomorrow afternoon? starting around 3, and ending whenever.""Ok." Barba said. She could hear the smile in his voice."Barba I'm sorry that I didn't tell you.""I know." Barba smiled. He could hear the exhaustion in her voice, and she wasn't fighting the sleep she needed."Do you have to get off the phone?""No, get comfortable Liv." Within moments, Rafael smiled knowing Olivia was asleep, he followed her quickly into dreamland.