Chapter 31

It was a Tuesday in late November , and Paul Gibson's trial was coming to an end. In the next few days, Rafael Barba expected to be nervously biting his nails waiting for a verdict until Olivia calmed him down, and they waited together. Paul Gibson was a dangerous man, but Rafael wasn't sure he would answer for his crimes. Judge Decarlo adjourned at noon, after Grace told the jury in great detail what Paul did to her, and to her cousin Amber. DNA proved that the baby Amber gave birth to was biologically Paul's. Tomorrow, Rafael was putting Nicole's cab driver on the stand., and the day after she was scheduled to testify.

It was now 4:30PM, and Rafael was sitting in his office, worrying about Olivia, and trying to focus on his paperwork. In the past few days, Rafael caught his best friend on more then one occasion sneezing, and coughing. When he called her last night to tell her he made it home safely, he told her not to show up in court today, and to take the day off. She insisted she was fine. She said she needed to be in the courtroom, and she couldn't take the day off. She gave Rollins time off to plan the wedding, so SVU was again short staffed.

When Rafael walked out of the courthouse today, he saw Olivia outside, and rushed to her . The color was drained from her beautiful face, and she looked like she could barely stand. He put his arm on hers, out of concern, and to steady her. He asked if she was ok out of habit, even though he knew she wasn't. As always, Olivia insisted she was fine, but she let him convince her not to go back to the squad room,. He called a cab for her, and helped her into it. He wanted to go with her, but she argued with him, that he still had work to do. He told her he would bring her some soup tonight. He sighed when his paperwork was finally finished. He began to read it to ensure it was mistake free. The sound of his office door being flung open made him jump. He looked up, he was on his feet within seconds. His heart rate quickened. Lucy rushed to his desk. She was holding Noah with her right arm. "Mr. Barba." She said. He could tell she was trying to mask her panic for Noah's sake.

"Lucy, what happened?" Where's Liv? Tell me." His words rushed out.

"She called me around 12:30. to check on Noah. She always checks on Noah. She wanted to know where we were. I told her we were having ice cream, and would be back at the apartment soon. She told me to make sure Noah didn't eat too much. It, it was a normal call, until I heard a yelp, then the phone went dead."

Where was she? Was she home, or on her way home?"

"I think she was home, I don't know for sure." Lucy was fighting tears, and Noah looked distressed. "Sometimes, after a shift she stops at the store, but she hasn't been feeling well the last few days. She's been trying to stay away from Noah as much as she can, so he doesn't get sick again."

"Did you try calling back? Barba asked now feeling sick.

"No answer." Lucy replied. "It went to voicemail. I called 5 times before I grabbed Noah, and drove to the squad room. Fin called her, and nothing. I told him everything I told you. He said to leave, and take care of Noah. I told him I could go to Roberto's." Barba began to run out of the office.

"Wait!" Lucy said, Noah began to cry.

"I don't have time to wait!" Barba answered without stopping. Lucy ran after him.

"I got a text about 10 minutes ago!"

Text? What did it say?" Barba asked without stopping. He was now by Carmen's desk. He caught the worried look on her face. He ran faster.

Lucy quoted the text. "Don't come home! Take Noah to the movies."

"We said we would take Noah to the movies together. He's never been to the movies." Barba said.

"I know." Lucy answered

"It's a code. Lucy, you stay here with Noah, and Carmen, there's security here." I'm going to Liv's apartment." Still moving, he took his cell phone out of his pocket , and dialed, Within seconds he was speaking into the phone. "This is ADA. Rafael Barba, I need a bus at Lieutenant Olivia Benson's apartment now!" He gave the address. He stopped talking and listened to the person on the other end of the line. "I don't know what her injuries are! I don't know if she has injuries I'm on my way to her apartment now! I have reason to believe she's in danger! I'm not taking any chances! He answered. "Send a bus now!" He heard Lucy sobbing, and he heard Carmen trying to comfort her. Carmen took Noah from Lucy's arms.

"Mr. Barba" Lucy said, sobbing louder than she wanted. "Stop! I need to give you Liv's extra key!" She reached into her pocket, and grabbed her copy of Olivia's key. Barba quickly turned without a word, and took it..

"We'll keep calling her!" I'll block the number!" Carmen said, as Barba left the room.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Rafael made it into Olivia's building. The drive to Olivia's apartment felt like the longest drive of his life. He didn't see an ambulance yet. He was nearly parlayed by fear, but he didn't have time to give in to it. He needed to act. He forced his legs and feet to carry him quickly to Olivia's door. He knocked loudly twice, and called her name. She didn't answer. He unlocked her door with the key, and entered. Right away he noticed that not one of Noah's toys was in sight, his toy box was moved, to where Barba didn't know. Except for some heavy glass on the floor the room was spotless, and this worried Barba even more. "Liv! He screamed. His green eyes found her She was lying on the ground several feet from the couch.. He ran to her and knelt down. Her eyes were closed. "Liv! "He repeated.

"Barba" She answered, filling him with relief.

"Liv what happened?"

"Noah!" Olivia said, her eyes opened wide, and in them he saw terror.

"Noah's fine." He answered quickly.

"Barba why, why aren't you with Noah!"

"Shh". "He's fine. Liv, can you move?"

"Yes.". She coughed, and tried to mask her pain. I just wanted to lie here for awhile."

"What are you doing on the floor?"

"I can move. Don't worry." She said. She coughed again.

"Don't try to move now." He answered, trying to sound calm.

"Barba". Rafael heard his name, and he heard Fin's voice, but he kept his eyes on his best friend. "Barba" Fin repeated. "You need to move out of the way, so the paramedics can get her up. Barba turned and his eyes focused on the paramedics coming to lift Olivia off the ground,

"Rafa, Olivia said weakly. She closed her eyes..

"No, Liv!" "Barba yelled. "Stay with me. Olivia, you stay with me! You hear me? You are not leaving Noah, you are not leaving me, you hear me! I love you! Can you hear me? I love you."

"Sir", a male paramedic said. "She's alive, she's breathing, she's alive."

"I'm riding in the ambulance with her." Barba said firmly. He followed behind her and then he was beside her. In the ambulance he was close enough to torch her. "You can't leave me Olivia. I love you. Mi Corazon." He whispered.