Chapter 22

Rafael's entire being filled with relief when on the way to Mercy Hospital Olivia opened her eyes, but his relief was replaced with dread the second they closed again. Matt, the paramedic, tried to reassure him that Olivia's vital signs were strong. "Your girl is a fighter." Matt told him. Barba wanted to respond in agreement. He wanted to tell Matt that Olivia was a fighter, he wanted to tell Matt she was the strongest person in the world, and that she would never stop fighting. He wanted to at least nod at the young man trying to offer comfort, but he couldn't. He was frozen, until the ambulance arrived at the hospital. He followed the paramedics as they wheeled Olivia to the doctors on duty

A male doctor yelled at Barba "Sir, you can't come into the room with her!"

"Please, you have to help her!" I'm here Olivia! I'm not going anywhere I'm here!" Barba said as a door was slammed in his face. He stood outside that door until a nurse ushered him into the waiting room. He hadn't eaten anything in hours, but Rafael Barba had no appetite. His head was pounding, and he lost track of just how long he had been waiting in the busy hospital.

Barba sat down on a long beige waiting room couch. Fin walked to him. "Counselor, except for some glass. Liv's apartment was spotless. Noah's toys were all in his toy box."

"I knew that." Barba answered. ""Where was the toy box?"

"In Noah's room, in a corner." Fin said, and continued quickly. "I wish this freak left something behind."

"The fact that the place was almost spotless, and that Noah's toy box was moved should tell you something." Barba replied.

"It does. Don't worry I'll get this guy, even if I have to do it myself."

"You won't have to." Barba answered with determination.

"You're angry Barba, so anything you say right now, I'm going to pretend I didn't hear."

"Agreed." Barba said. "We never had this conversation."

"You can't touch this case. You're a witness. You found her on the floor."

"Don't remind me."

"Sorry", Fin answered. How's Liv doing?

"I have no idea." Barba said, feeling nauseous. "A nurse stuck me out here."

"She'll make it."

"I'm not even sure what happened to her." Barba answered, a combination of anger, sadness, worry and fear in his voice.

She'll tell you." Fin said.

"You think?" Barba asked, his voice shaking.

"I know." Fin said. "Want some coffee?"

"No, I don't want coffee". Barba grumbled.

"When was the last time you ate something?" Fin asked. He was almost as worried about Barba now, as he was about Olivia.

"A little before court this morning. It doesn't matter." Barba paused for a moment." I was supposed to have dinner with her. I was supposed to bring her soup." He said, his voice cracking. His green eyes drifted to Rollins and Carisi. They were standing on the other side of the room by a vending machine, he had no idea how long they had been there Carisi looked over at him, and then back at his fiancé Barba found himself standing and walking toward them. They were talking, but he couldn't make out what they were saying to each other until he was closer. He heard Rollins say the word wedding. He moved closer, and found himself standing in front of them."When did you get here?" He asked. His voice was low, but his anger was evident.