Chapter 22

It was Monday. Rafael Barba was sitting at his desk in his office waiting again for Olivia and Ms. Price. He smiled as Sunday's events ran through his memory. He arrived back at Olivia Benson's apartment at exactly noon. Olivia smiled when she answered the door for him. Barba walked in, and locked the door. "Barba, help!" Noah said. The boy was sitting on the couch trying to get his shoes on.

"Noah, I told you I would help you. Olivia said to her son. She walked toward him.

"No! Barba help me! Noah yelled. Olivia backed up, and looked at Barba. She stepped aside Barba kneeled down in front of the boy. He grabbed the shoes. He heard Olivia's cell phone ring, she answered it, and told him she would be right back. He heard a door shut.

Barba quickly helped Noah put his shoes on the correct way, as he laced them Barba spoke. "Noah don't yell at your mami . She loves you so much!" You don't want to make her sad." Noah shook his head. "You want to say you're sorry?" Noah smiled, Barba finished tying his shoes, and ruffled the boy's hair. "Next time I come over, I'll teach you how to tie your shoes all by yourself Ok?" Barba heard a door close again. and then he heard Olivia's footsteps. He stood up.

"Mommy, sorry for yelling" Noah said. "Hug!" Olivia ran to Noah, picked him up, and spun around while hugging him. Noah laughed, and Olivia's musical laugher followed. That hug was exactly what she needed. Her brown eyes sparkled with new energy. All three of them walked out of the apartment, and went to the park.

"Thanks for helping Noah with his shoes. He told me he wanted to do it himself." Olivia said as they watched Noah play. They had been in the park for 2 hours.

"He's independent, like his mother." Barba said giving her a half smile. "You get any sleep after I left?"

"You left after midnight, and we got off the phone after 1AM."

"I know, maybe next time I shouldn't call when I get home, if it's that late."

"No." Olivia said quickly. "It's better you call no matter what time it is. if you don't I'll worry. Then I'll come looking for you." She said laughing to lighten the mood.

"Ok, forget I said that. You didn't answer my question. Did you sleep?"

"Sleep is overrated.

"Did you try?"

"Did you?" Olivia answered, "Why are you so interested in my sleeping habits counselor?"

Barba sighed, and rolled his eyes. "Did you try to sleep in a bed?"

"I'm used the rocking chair at this point."

"Liv, you say that like it's a good thing."

"It is. I need to keep a close eye on Noah. He's been through a lot. He was sick not that long ago, and his asthma puts him at a higher risk."

"He's going to be fine Liv,"

"He took 2 naps yesterday."

"You're a phenomenal mother. You still need to sleep." Olivia smiled and quickly changed the subject. They talked for 2 more hours before they took a tired Noah home. Olivia warmed up chicken nuggets, and they all ate them. Noah had a piece of birthday cake before bed. "Next time I'm cooking." Barba said.

"Next time we'll get some take-out.I'm just too tired to deal with it now. This was easier. Please, give me your mother's number so that I can thank her for that cake." Barba did as she asked, and watched as she talked to his mother for over an hour. He tried to hide his smile.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. How late am I?" Olivia's voice called Barba out of his thoughts. She was sitting in a chair across from him Her eyes were wide, to say she looked worried was an understatement.