chapter 3

talia
i unlocked the front door, taking my heels off as i walked in.
"mommy!" finn squealed.
"mommy is tired." i said, sitting on the couch.
"long day?" sammy said, walking over.
"oh you bet."

i unbottoned my jacket and threw it somewhere, knowing i'll pick it up later.
"how's the new job?" he asked, finn was next to me playing games on my phone.
"you're not going to guess who's my boss."
"is it someone i know?"
"jack." i mouthed, so finn wouldn't hear me.
"you're kidding." he poked my sides.

"i'm actually being serious sam."
"the company doesn't even mention his name or anything."
"he doesn't like the way companies have their owner's names in them, i don't know it's a 'him' thing." i rolled my eyes.

"did you ta-"
"no i didn't, i have to be civil. i've also only been working there for a week."
"c'mon you can't just act like you forgot everything, tals."
"well it's been five years what do you want me to do!" i raised my voice, getting up and i grabbed my phone from finn's hands.
"where are you going?"
"out." i spat.

                                •       •       •

"thanks for letting me come over."
"no finn?" he pouted.
"no, i just got off of work and sammy decided to bicker with me again."
"you guys really need to separate already, he needs his own house."
"we share rent." i laughed.
"oh, come in. i didn't mean to have you wait outside." he gestured me into his home.
"thank you, johnson." i smiled.

"anytime, you're always welcome here you already know that."
"so sammy and i were arguing because he decided to ask how my day was." i said, grabbing a wine glass.

"and?"
"jack is my new boss." his jaw dropped to the floor.
"wow, wait really?"
"yep, sammy started bringing up the past and i didn't want to talk about it."

"that was five years ago tals, at least give the guy a sho-" i glared at him.
"don't even start."
"i'm sorry, i didn't mean to upset you."
but he did, pouring wine into our glasses.

"it's okay, it was just a really stressful day."
"you left finn with sam?"
"big mistake i know, but i yelled and i think i scared him."

"what was he doing?"
"he was right next to me, playing games on my phone." i facepalmed.
"i miss the little guy, bring him around next time."
"i feel so bad, i feel like a terrible mother." tears started to brim at my eyes.
"tals, don't cry." he said as he engulfed me in his arms.

"i never should've done that!"
my cries were quiet but i had reached the ultimate breaking point, where i was just letting everything out.
"i just fucked everything up, i promised finn when he was born that i would give him a better life that my parents gave me." i sniffled.
"you're doing an amazing job at being a mother. i know it can get stressful but that's the process. it's going to be okay, don't freak out all the time. it happens and we can't do anything about it. tals, i care about you and finn so much. you know that, i'm not going to let you say 'you're a terrible mom' because i know you're doing fucking terrific." he smiled with his pearly white teeth.

"thank you." i mumbled into his chest as he gave me another hug.
"like i said, anytime."
he looked down at me, our gaze into each other's. it's been like this for the past five years, countless pep talks and lots of wine. i always found it comforting to be around johnson, he was time and time again holding me down. he's seen me at my worst, maybe even rock bottom and he always helped me back up on my feet.

★·.·'¯'·.·★authors note★·.·'¯'·.·★