chapter 5

talia
"what if we just started over?" he asked.
"completely fresh?"
"mhm." he took a sip from his wine glass.
"wouldn't it be weird to be friends with my boss." i shrugged.

"c'mon tals, we've practically known each other since we were kids, it's already weird that i'm your boss." he chuckled.
"okay, but we are taking this very slow." i replied.
the waitress came over with our meals, setting them down.
"let me know if you guys need anything else." she smiled, i thanked her.

"so about the banquet ball, who's invited?" i asked, taking a bite of my chicken pasta.
"anyone really. potential investors, possible partners, just other companies that could benefit working with. i think it'd be brilliant."
"how would we get it together in three days?"

jack laughed, "oh tals, we hire people for that. don't worry about it. the only thing we have to worry about is attending and maybe talking to all the guests."
"are you sure? because if you jump the gun again and make me do a big speech or something i'm going to leave."
"i remembered this time, don't worry."
i pointed my fingers at my eyes then pointed them at him, i honestly freeze up whenever i have to do any sort of public speaking.

"do you have a dress for the event?" jack asked.
"i think i can get one myself, in time."
"wear anything you want, i know they talked about a theme but don't worry about it."
"you got anything yet yourself?" i smiled.

"i'm always wearing a suit, of course. i have plenty." he joked.
"is everyone under the company invited?" i asked.

"are you asking about derek?" jack smirked.
"oh shut up, he's one of my closest friends."
"but yes, he's attending as his position would allow him. anyone lower than than will not attend."
"what about candace, she sure goes goo-goo eyes about you." i said, causing the both of us to laugh.

"perhaps not." jack shook his head and i giggled.
my phone started to ring and i excused myself from the table, walking over to the balcony to answer the phone.

"hello?"
"hey, ma." it was derek.
"hi derek, i'm at dinner with jack right now. we finished another meeting an hour ago, what's up?"
"i was wondering if you could help me shop for the banquet. i need someone with fashion sense to help me out." i laughed.
"i'll call you when i finish up. i actually was looking to buy something for the banquet as well."
"i'll let you finish dinner though, see you later."
"bye, derek." i hung up.

i headed back over to the table and jack seemed to be almost finished with his food.
"important call?" he asked.
"no, just a friend." i smiled.
"did you want to grab dessert?" jack asked with a sly smile.

"i kinda have to head back after this but thank you for offering." i grinned, finishing up my food. i handed jack a fifty dollar bill for my half of the meal but he refused to take it.
"i got it lia, don't worry." he pulled out his wallet.

**

"none of these look good on me." i whined, taking off a long black dress.
"i'm sure they look good tals." derek said from behind the door.
i pulled on a long blue dress, with a slit down the middle.
i looked at myself in the mirror, admiring it for a short while.
"hello? you went a little quiet." derek knocked on my fitting room door.

i opened it, giving a spin and a walk. i turned and smiled, "what do you think?"
his jaw dropped, grabbing my hand and gave me a twirl to see the dress.
"you look gorgeous ma." derek awed.

"you think it'll be perfect for the banquet?"
"more than perfect! tals this is amazing, everyone goin have their eyes on you. better sweet talk some investors in this dress." he joked.

"ok, i'll get it." i smiled, walking back into my fitting room and changing out of the dress.
i heard derek chattering outside the fitting room, as i was walking out. i turned the corner, seeing sammy with johnson and finn. the boys were just hanging out and saw derek from the window.

"mama!" finn ran up to me, hugging my legs.
derek pointed to finn, with his mouth agape.
"he's gotten so big! what's up buddy!" he crouched, giving finn a small fist pump.

"doing some shopping?" sam asked.
"our company is having a banquet, i just helped derek find a suit and now i finally have a dress." i nodded, holding up the dress that i had just put on.

i picked up finn and had him rested on my hip, "you boys planning to do anything else?"
"well, we just came back from the arcade with finn. haven't planned to do anything else after." johnson said, checking his phone.

i was in awe, "you guys are such good uncles."

-