chapter 12

talia
i've been up cleaning and tidying up our house, as it was my day off and jack was at the office today. i could do things without jack's nagging of 'we have people for that' and 'i'll take care of it'. as much as i have genuinely liked living here with him, he lives far too luxurious than what i'm used to.

"mommy can i watch tv?" finn grabbed my pant leg, looking up at me with his big eyes.
"yes, i'm gonna clean up the kitchen. if you can stay in the tv room and watch, then ok." i replied, finn cheered and ran off.

i cleared the island and started washing up the dishes, the faint sound of the tv in the background. the house phone started ringing and i turned off the sink rushing to dry off my hands. i scurried over to pick up the phone, taking a breath before answering.
"hello?" i chirped.
"talia? hi honey! i was not expecting you to pick up." my heart warmed, recognizing the voice.
"hi katherine, jack is back at the office right now. but yea, i'm not sure if he told you anything recently."

"honey, of course i know everything! i'm so glad to hear everything is going so well. i'm hoping you three would come back and pay a visit sometime. i'd love to meet little finn."
"we could definitely plan something, i'll run it by jack when he comes back. i think being back home would be amazing." i responded, going back to washing the dishes.

"i miss you dear." she cooed, making my heart skip a beat for a moment.
"i miss you too, the past five years really hasn't been easy." i spoke, my breath shaky.
"i'm gonna let you go, thank you hon." i let out a breath, thanking her and saying my goodbyes.

i hadn't realized there were a few tears that escaped my eyes, falling off my cheek. katherine was truly a mother figure to me since i didn't necessarily have parental figures, i truly had gone to her for everything and even after we moved to la. she always told me she saw jack and i together, which as a teenager i highly doubted. i noticed the house was a little to quiet, so i called out for finn.
"finn? honey?" no response, i dried my hands walking over to the tv room and it was on but he wasn't in the room anymore.

i exhaled, walking over to the living room calling his name once again. no response, i found jack's home office and found the door agape. i called for him again, only getting a hum as a response.
"finn, what are you doing in daddy's office?" he was sitting on the chair, looking at all the miscellaneous things on jack's desk.
"i got bored." he peeped.
"well, this is your daddy's space. he likes to keep it private." i said, walking up and picking up finn from the chair.

"mommy is that you?" he pointed at a picture on jack's shelf, i turned around to look at what finn was pointing at. it was the two of us, i was showing in a lavender dress and there jack was kissing my temple smiling at me. that picture was from laura's wedding. i couldn't forget it, i was still hostile towards jack but for laura's sake i allowed myself to be civil. i felt this warmth inside of me, knowing that after all these years he kept the picture.

i carried finn, walking over to the tv room and shutting off the running tv. taking finn over to the play room, he jumped out of my arms.
"your daddy has so much toys for you."
"i love him." finn smiled, looking back at me to make sure i heard it.
"i love him too sweetheart." i whispered, playing with finn.

-
short chapter